What is the average percentage of commission charged when selling a property in California?

October 24 2012 - Ventura

In Canada a standard commission is about 7% on first 100K and 2.5% on balance...interesting to see the differential

Typically, commission is 5%-6% for residential properties in most California markets.

Average real estate commissions on home sales in California range from 6%-8%.

That being said, I have to disagree with a few of my colleagues on here, and refer to the old adage, "you get what you pay for".  It's true that real estate commissions are 100% negotiable between client and agent.  However, you have to ask -- is an agent who is offering to work on a discount commission going to give me the top notch service I need and deserve?  Or will a discount broker give me discount services?

If I were in your shoes, I would want a real professional entrusted with the sale of my most valuable material asset -- my house.  For that, I would avoid any "discount" or "fly by night" brokerages.  A successful top dollar sale requires precision pricing and correct marketing.  Otherwise, while you may end up paying "less commission" up front, you likely won't get the best price for your house.  Ask yourself -- is paying a 3% commission on a $350000 sale worth it if you could have grossed $400000 paying a 6 or 7% commission?

Great question!  It's important you know that commissions are negotiable between the Realtor and the seller. 

Home values are (in most cases) clearly visible with all the data on the MLS.  so we all know the value is clear!  (Unless the seller is inflating the price to hope for more) So it simply boils down to what services you want from your Realtor.  

In a 'low inventory market, you may have more flexibility here, although as things shift...we typically see sellers pay a higher commission to attract more buyers.

As for the comment that "Most larger firms have to charge a higher commission", This simply isn't true... be concerned with how well the agent can negotiate on your behalf when an offer comes in!  The agent is working on your behalf, so treat the fair and you will win!

and therefor it's up to you to sit down with an agent (or two) to interview them and weigh out the services they provide. It will be clear when you meet the right one!

Scott Cary
Real Estate Broker
[Contact information removed by ZIllow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy.]

Commissions are negotiable between the Realtor and the client. There is no average but it can range from 4%(foreclosures) all the way to 10% (Land) depending upon the property being sold and the conditions

I don't agree with the premise that the more expensive an agent's commission, the more they will get you for your home. Some agents work for major brokerages and have to pay a large percentage to that brokerage and therefore have to charge more regardless of the service they provide. I own my own brokerage and have more latitude in what I charge, however it does not impact the service provided. Interview several agents and ask what they would charge you. Factor that in along with their experience and track record to make your final decision.

As mentioned commission is negotiable. Depending on experience and expertise of an individual agent will depend on how much they want to charge. You can also structure how much commission you pay by how much the agent is able to get you on your home. 
Most full commission brokers usually can get you more for your home than a discount broker. 
If you need to sell your home as a short sale most Realtors have the bank pay their commission so it is not a expense you would incur. 
When selling land or mobile homes the average commission is 10% while residential is usually 5-6%. Lower than usually means you are hiring a discount broker. 
Keep in mind when you list with an agent when they put the home in the MLS they need to offer some sort of split of that commission to the agent bringing the buyer. Then each agent usually needs to split that commission with their broker.

Commissions vary and are negotiable, as are the final price, terms & conditions.  In Ventura County, a lower-end property, such as a mobile home or vacant land parcel selling under $75K may have a total commission of 10-12%.  Condos and townhomes under $200K are typically listed at 6%.   We see 5-6% total commission on the vast majority of residential listings.  What is important, from the seller's perspective, is to ask key questions such as what the listing agent plans to do to earn their commission, how long will it take to sell and at what price the home will sell for.

A listing broker typically charges 5-7% in most California markets. I usually charge 6% for my listings, and offer half of it to the selling agent. Best wishes from So-Cal and good luck.