What is the average real estate commission for the Tulsa,Ok area?

• July 24 2012 - Ridge Point

The best question to ask is not what commission do you charge, but what differentiates you as an agent?

This is a key question because you want to see if you will get a higher bottom line.

Its not the cost, but your revenue at the end of the day that matters...

Profile picture for JoshBarnettREIB
user7457112,

I cannot comment on what the average commissions are in Tulsa, OK area but I can provide some ideas that home seller's should think about when negotiating commissions w/ their prospective Realtors.

1.  In general, projects that make more money attract harder workers, i.e. if the going rate offered to Selling Brokers is 3%, would you think a home that was offering Selling Brokers 4% would sale faster?  Keep in mind the Listing and Selling Brokers are two different parties. 

2.  If you came into work today and your boss said, user7457112, here is your to do list today, I don't care how long or how quickly your get it done, but as soon as your done you can go home for the day.  Would you take all day to finish the project or would you complete the project as quickly as possible, which will earn more dollars/hour?

As I stated, I cannot comment on the "average real estate commissions for the Tulsa, OK area," I just want to recommend, offer more commissions than the going rate and you sale quicker than the average Days of the Market (DOM).

Josh Barnett, Realtor

Profile picture for localhomes
I agree with Jeff except when it comes to vacant land. I deal in recreational and farm land so anything above 80 acres I stick around the 6 mark.

Profile picture for Cindy Quinton

Of course most agents charge something similar. The more important question is what do you get for what you pay. Some aren't going to do any more than the three P's (Put a sign in the yard, Put it on the MLS, and PRAY). And some won't even give you all three of those! I think it is extremely important that you find someone who you believe will always have your best interest at heart, and who you can trust. The biggest complaint we seem to see here on the Zillow forums is agents who are so busy they don't take the time and effort to communicate regularly.

I would love a chance to visit with you about selling your home, how I would go about it, and what the costs involved would be. Please feel free to click on my profile and contact me for a no obligation appointment. I can also email you a good deal of information on what has sold in your immeadeate area so that you can see what things are going for. Please call or email at your convenience.

Most agents will steer clear of this question because of the illusion of price fixing.  Every commission is negotiable and different transactions call for different commission structures.  I can tell you here in FL (I did live in OK for 6 years!) I charge a higher commission for vacant land than I do for homes because they take longer to sell and they are harder to market.  I charge 6% on homes and 10% on vacant land but every one of my customers has the option to choose me or another agent.  For me to say my rates are the "standard" would be a violation of the law. My recommendation is to contact a couple local agents and just ask "What commission do you charge?" and "What do I get for that?"  Good luck!