Profile picture for DanChambers

What is the best way to find a Listing Agent?

What information should I ask for?  Is there a good website to research local Real Estate Agents?

March 02 2012 - Myrtle Beach

Interviews and refeerences.

[self promotion deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

great advise Chris and Maria! check credentials and reviews, make sure you pick an agent you feel you can trust.

You can look for an agent on Zillow in the Directory here. Read their reviews, look at their contributions in Advice and look through their listings to see if they are doing a good job marketing them. There are other sites like ratemyagent.com that also have information.

If you are looking for an agent in your local area, I have also had good luck attending open houses to meet listing agents. It allows you to touch base with many local agents in one day and look at their marketing materials too.

Because we are worldwide, my company has a world-wide referral service. For instance, if I know of someone who is moving to another city, state, or even another country (and even if they are not local to me now), I can ask my relocation department to find an agent who will meet their needs in the area they are going to. The relocation department works hard to find the right agent for the customer. It would work the same for someone seeking a listing agent.

Profile picture for DanChambers
Thanks for all your answers.  All good points.  In my particular situation, I own a condo in Myrtle Beach (MB), SC but live 800 miles away.  I was looking for a way to find the top three or four agents in the MB area that I can interview.  I have few contacts in the MB area and need a way to find the top agents from long distance.  Is there a good on-line resource I can go to that identifies agents that have a good track record selling condos in the MB area?  Thanks.

I agree with all as well, but with 1 additional point to make; selling a home can be a very emotional venture and personalities can come into play. Make sure that you're comfortable with the personality type of the agent you select. Some of us work very well with high-powered, high-energy and demanding types, others feel most comfortable with an agent who exhibits  a quieter, more nurturing and personal approach. Be sure to consider which might be best for you, and choose accordingly!

Dan,
 If you already live in the community, I would recommend you reach out to people you know and trust to ask for recommendations. When a agent goes above and beyond, the person will rave. I agree with the assertion that a written marketing plan is a sign of professionalism. They do absolutely have to be very local. In my market, 10 miles is a world away. I'd want to know how many sites the home will be posted on, what their open house schedule is, and I'd want to see the CMA that the listing price recommendation is based on. Best of luck. 

I agree with Chris and Maria. You need to interview at least 3 agents and make sure you ask to see their written marketing plan. All to often homeowners will list with the agent that give them the highest list price. In todays economy starting with an accurate listing price and working with agent that has an effective marketing plan are very important.

You should interview 3 agents and pick the one that works best for you.  Also, you want to make sure they will market your home on the top internet channels.  To learn the top internet real estate channels, you can visit www.hitwise.com.  Here is a great article on what to ask in your interview:  http://realestate.yahoo.com/Realtors/Selecting_an_Agent_Questions_Every_Seller_Should_Ask.html