Profile picture for thetree

What is the best way to market a home that needs some work, compared to other homes on the market?

I have made repairs on my home and painted all the rooms.  The kitchen was updated last year but the contractor botched the bathroom update.  How should I market my home without re-doing the bathroom?  What words could I use to describe my home?

December 18 2008 - Northwest Raleigh

I agree with Nathan.  You can also reflect the cost of bathroom repairs in your asking price (have a written estimate) and not offer a "remodeling budget".  Just keep in mind that in the current market, potential buyers are going to offer you less than the asking price.  Try to focus your marketing on the positives of the property, like the remodeled kitchen.

I highly recommend getting a NEW estimate for the repairs by a licensed contractor. Your can search for qualified contractors through Angieslist.com or other referral services, or contact a Realtor for a recommended free estimate from a contractor.

Then you can advertise the property as having a "remodeling budget" included of $XXX amount. This helps also for the Buyer to be able to show their mortgage company that the money is escrowed for the repair, instead of the Buyer having to pay for the repairs out of their pocket.

Try this: "Motivated Seller is Offering a $1500 Decorating Allowance for Bathroom Updates." And make sure you have a copy of he estimate and information/flyer/brochure about the contract available during showings. Also consider offering a Home Warranty-- usually around $400, but a great selling feature to set the buyer's mind at ease about future unknowns.