Profile picture for Pghpdx

What is the best way to see if a mortgage lender is trustworthy? Any watchdog hotlines?

besides angies list how do I check up on a lender in my area? 97223
  • September 22 2011 - Portland
  • 0

Any good, legitimate licenced mortgage broker is going to have clients that they have helped in the past that are willing to talk directly with you and let you know what their experiance was like working with that mortgage broker.

The point of HARP is to allow for folks to qualify easily for a refi... don't laugh! If you were under 80% ltv to start with and did not have MI you will not be required to have it on the new loan... even at 86%. The chances of you making your payment when it is lowered is greater than not so the risk decreases. Now if you are going from a 30 to a 20 (doable depending on the lender) I could see how the Fannie Mae findings could identify a new risk. Haven't seen it first hand so just an assumption. Would be interesting to hear from other lenders. The appraisal waivers are a good thing... Fannie has narrowed down values in given areas and determined a fair value. When the numbers are massaged well enough and you have compensating factors you increase your chances of getting one. Second opinions are good when you get that gut check. 

Sunnyview there is an edit button just have to be quick ;)

Profile picture for Pghpdx
yeah come to find out HARP does make a 20 and a 15.
But what about the MI I don't want any I never had any and I don't want any now.  I am a 6% risk LTV but they don't need an apprasal to do a HARP right so how the heck would they know that .....that is the whole point in HARP those who are less than?  125%  to get a REFI with no MI no checking right?

Profile picture for Pghpdx
yeah I have Angies list.  U am using it now and we will weed through the list..... and wow has my gut BS feeling been on the ring this last week or so. esp when my orginal lender lady tells me I can't have a HARP in a 20 or a 15 that they don't come in 20 or 15. 20 or a 15 in a regular refi only but I can't have with a low LTV of 86%. You can have it with MI.......but I can offer you a 30 with a HARP REFI program what the heck?

I really appreciate your understanding Corri. I was actually thinking what I said the second time round when I typed the first post, but it came out all wrong. When I reread it tonight, it was not what I meant at all. I hate it when that it happens.

Makes me wish there was an edit button or makes me at least wish I had one more cup of coffee before posting. Thanks for letting me off the hook. :)

Okay better sunnyview... I won't hold it against you ;) Your advice has always been accurate and straightforward so you really threw me for a loop... Knowing some of the regulars here I am surprised it didn't blow up the thread!

Ok...maybe bs alarm was not very clear. What I meant was that people need to do a gut check when the read those reviews. If the lender review or rate seems to ring wrong, then eye it with suspicion. You have to do that with reviews anywhere from amazon to yelp.

There are lots of good agents on Zillow to choose from, but just like any group some are better than others so you have to shop with your head and your instinct working together. If your head says yes, but your gut says no, skip them and find another lender that you can work with.

Ask people you trust for referrals. 

Usually any financial person (financial planner, CPA, insurance agent, realtor,...) you use will know of a couple of trustworthy mortgage professionals.

BS alarm?? I agree there are a lot of trumped up reviews and it should be easy enough to weed through the low ball quotes... if it sounds too good to be true, right? Many of us here on the Zillow forums are here to provide sound advice and have built up an established presence. If you look through their profile you can see who's tried and true and who's Johnny come lately. 

you can check individual lender licenses here:
 http://www.nmlsconsumeraccess.org/ 

also your local BBB for complaints against their companies
http://alaskaoregonwesternwashington.bbb.org/Find-Business-Reviews/

Any good Realtor in your area, including me, will be able to recommend at least two lenders (or mortgage brokers, which is even better).   Click on my picture to send me an email. 

"If they are a lender on Zillow turn on your bs alarm"

There is no getting around that point!

Wink wink!

Angie's list is good. If they are a lender on Zillow turn on your bs alarm and read through the honest reviews for real info. You can try yelp, but there are not a lot of lenders on there yet. You can also google the lender name with "scam" or look at sites like ripoffreport.

Pghpdx,
I would definitely suggest get referrals from trusted sources such as your real estate broker, friends, family or co-workers who have had good experiences.  I have several very respected names I would be happy to share, please contact me if you'd like me to e-mail the information....jj