What is the best way to tell your agent you don't want to work with them?

We are not under a written contract.

• February 10 2014 - US
  • 0

That's a tough position to be in.  Hopefully you haven't spent too much time with him/her so the "break-up" won't be too tough.  I've heard plenty of stories of realtors who personalities just don't mesh with clients.  I would recommend sending them an email first so you can soften the news before you speak to them in person.  That way you have time to make your thoughts clear and concise.  And absolutely give tell them the reason for the decision so they know what they need to improve on in the future.  Again, such a tough position to be in.  To locate a new realtor you should ask friends/co-workers for recommendations AND then research them online and read reviews so you can get an idea of what experience you might expect.  Good luck!!!

Profile picture for TracyLoggins
The best policy is honesty.  This is a huge step in life and you certainly don't want to be working with someone that makes it more stressful.  Most realtors will understand.  They may even refer you to a realtors based on you feedback that may better fit with you.  That way they can still be compensated for there work they have don't for you without costing you anything.

Clearly.

Honesty is the best policy. Is it because you are dissatisfied with the quality of service? What is the main reason? Many times an agent may not be aware that a client is not happy with their service. I think it is fair to give him or her an opportunity to know why you feel the need to leave. Communication is extremely important in the relationship between Realtor and buyer. Therefore, I would definitely suggest that you speak candidly with your agent and see if your concerns can be addressed. If after doing this there are no changes or if you have already done this and are still unhappy tell them that you are most comfortable moving on.

It depends upon your reasoning. Is the reason something that can be fixed? If so, talk to him/her and give him/her the opportunity to correct the problem. If you just aren't happy with their services or don't mesh well then simply say, "I'm sorry, but I don't think we are a good fit. We appreciate your time and wish you the best." As a realtor, I can say that I would want the opportunity to fix whatever problem there is, but if it can't be done, it can't be done. Better to let him/her know before they put any more work into the process. If you do move on to another realtor, please be sure to explain that you recently broke up with your realtor. Best of luck on your search!

Profile picture for Matt Hiatt
The best way is to tell them straight out and tell them the reason why. I have not had this happen, but if it did, I would prefer the client was honest with me so I know what I need to do to improve in the future. If it is just a personality conflict, I would tell them that as well.