Profile picture for JKReming

What is the downpayment requirement for FHA HomePath homes as an investor...10%?

I read somewhere that the downpayment requirement for HomePath homes is 10% as an investor.  I have not been able to find this on the site anywhere though.  Can anyone confirm that the 10% is still current?
  • February 16 2012 - US
  • 0

Hi all:

I was just looking into this as it seems like a good deal for investors. However, according to my loan officer, there are caveats to the process that are not fully understood. 

1. As an investor you can get the 10% down structure IF it is not your first investment. 
2. Apparently if you buy a home any other homes you buy within two years you are still considered a first time investor and would NOT qualify for 10% down. 

I am not 100% sold on #2  as it makes not sense. At the risk of being crass, you can only lose your virginity once. If I buy a home and go to look for a second home I am not a first time home buyer. If I buy home and take advantage of the first time home buyer incentives I don't believe I can use those on my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. homes. 

Can someone clarify this for me?

Regards,
Dennis Gilgalloln

Profile picture for _manch_
Is the 10% DP available only for Property #1-4? What about #5 and onward?

Profile picture for daveskow
thanks for the celan up

Profile picture for RussHatfield
Hi all,

I cleaned this thread up a bit. Technically, some of the posts from Geofrey would fall under self-promotion here in Advice, per our Good Neighbor Policy so I've removed what I felt fell under this category, while trying to leave those that gave pertinent info. It's a judgment call on my part -- yes. I've tried to find the balance ; )

I also removed posts that we're off-topic and "personal". Although I see the points being made on all sides, I'd prefer to keep this on-topic of the original post.

Thanks for understanding, all.
Russ
Zillow Customer Care

The lack of condo restrictions in addition to no appraisal sounds scary to me! If a complex has 90% investor saturation, lawsuits, and other issues,
( on top of not seeing an appraisal ) it could be very hard to sell later.    

Yes you are correct . a 10% down payment on investment properties and as little as 3% down for primary residence

JKReming-

Yes I can confirm that for you. This FNMA program allows for a 10% down payment on investment properties and as little as 3% down for primary residence.  Mortgage insurance is not required with this product and no appraisal either. Of particular interest is the program can be used on otherwise un-financable unwarrantable condos due to the lack of appraisal and condo certification.

The property must be a FNMA owned REO to be eligible  Oh, and FHA and HomePath are two completely different programs JKR.

I spoke to soon with what Flagstar has to offer for Fannie Mae Homepath.  For a second home purchase it is 90% loan to value and for an investment it is 85% loan to value. 

Homepath is a program to purchase select Fannie Mae foreclosures.  You can find these properties on www.homepath.com.  Homepath financing does offer as little as 10% down for single family home investment properties.  They also do not require appraisals and they have no condominium restrictions.

Dave, that is great, share with us what banks will do that.  With Flagstar Bank, that maximum ltv is 75%.  That is great information, if you wan to email personally you may that way when I come across someone who only has 10% down I have a place to direct them.

Profile picture for daveskow
10% down Ok for HOMEPATH  rental purchase HomePath v. FHA Financing

For a Fannie Mae home path it is 75% loan to value with a 700 fico score for an investor.