Profile picture for robertuva

What is the minimum downpayment for me for a MF (3+ units), duplex, and second home (duplex)?

I currently have a owner-occupied fourplex using a FHA loan.  I am looking to purchase some additional property, both in my area which would become owner-occupied (I will have lived in my fourplex for over a year) and outside of my area as a vacation/second home.

What would my minimum downpayment be for the following scenarios:

IN MY AREA:

1. MF (3+ units)
2. Duplex
3. Single Family

SECOND HOME:

1. MF (3+ units)
2. Duplex
3. Single Family

The one that is particularly hard to find information on is whether a duplex is viewed as a single family or as a MF when coming up with the downpayment (looked at as an investor loan or not).

Thanks for your help.  

April 13 2011 - Victoria Park

Robertuva,

You can not obtain more than one FHA loan at a time, unless you can justify a "need" to move.  

In your scenario, Duplex's and 3-4 Units will likely require 20% down, unless you are in a state that has access to PMI on Multi-Family. Single Family Primary Residences are financeable up to 95% Loan-To-Value, unless you are in a state or area that is considered as "declining", in which case it will be lower. Again, you will need to make a case for the "need" to move, however it will be easier if you have rental income currently being reported on your 1040 tax returns.

Second homes will also require a larger down payment.

Bottom line to your ending question in your post - Single Family homes are the only type that are considered Single Family homes, even if you are going to occupy one of the units of a 2-4 plex property.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan

1. 604 NE 13th Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL Home For Sale
    604 NE 13th Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304

2. 93 Isle Of Venice Dr, Fort Lauderdale, FL Home For Sale
    93 Isle Of Venice Dr, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301

For Sale: $1,225,000

3. 857 NE 16th Ter # 857, Fort Lauderdale, FL Home For Sale
    857 NE 16th Ter # 857, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304