Profile picture for sandyhickox

What is the next step after I find a house I am interested in?

I found a house I am very interested in, what is the next step?
  • December 26 2013 - Venice

I always recommend getting a pre approval before you do anything else, but in your case you obviously already have a property you like. Hopefully, now you will be able to qualify to buy the home you like. Make sure you will qualify and then find an agent who can be your advocate throughout the transaction. Remember the seller will pay your agents commission so it is a free service to you. Realtors are great to help with analyzing market values, negotiating closing costs, and making sure the contract covers all of your best interests.
  • January 06

Sandyhickox-

Good Morning.

Great question, I would reach out to a local lender, if you do not know/have one, perhaps visit a local lending firm, bank, credit union, etc. and or locate a local top rated REALTOR, if you do not have one
already. If you do not, make sure you ask them all a couple of questions, in reference to their field of knowledge as it pertains to location, skills, experience best matching your needs. Then try to view that and like property, taking notes/pictures, so that you have a feel for the process. Your lender and REALTOR will be there to "protect and guide" you, however, you will want to be a part of the process.

I hope that helps.

Have a BEAUTIFUL day.

-Shawn

Hi Sandy,

Buying a home can be a confusing and even scary process, after all it's probably the biggest investment you'll ever make. As for myself, I would have never made it through without my realtor guiding me through every step of the way...
Now that I am a realtor as well, I break it down for my clients into steps:

1.) Find a realtor you trust and communicate to them what you need/want in a home
2.) Get a pre-qualified with a lender you (and your realtor trust) so you know how much home you afford
3.) Gather and bring in your documents (taxes, pay stubs, bank statements, etc.) to the lender
4.) Your realtor will take it from there in terms of writing an offer on the house

Good luck and I hope you become a homeowner in 2014!

Do a "find a pro" search above and read reviews on the top reviewed lenders in your area. You may want to contact more than one lender to make sure it is a good fit for you. When you pick a lender you feel comfortable with, ask them to run your pre-approval and make sure your maximum financing matches the home(s) you are looking at. Good luck!