What is the strangest thing you ever did to sell a home?

I'd love to read some great stories.

In 2009, I was showing property to a wonderful smaller older man that was just recovering from some medical problems.  Although he was just getting out of a wheelchair for a walker, he and his wife were determined to buy a home in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina.  By the time we came to the fourth home, his body and legs were completely out of energy, but the home looked perfect.
  So...after asking, I threw my client up and over my shoulder and continued to show him that home and the next.  They closed on the perfect home in less than 45 days, and now it's a well known real estate story in Cashiers North Carolina.
  Anything for a sale (and a new story and a new friend!).
Bill K, North Carolina

October 21 2011 - US

A number of years ago I had a settlement for a property about 45 minutes away in the Poconos. I represented the seller. The buyer, the buyer's agent and the seller of course lived there and I was the odd man out in terms of location. So I offered to settle the deal up there instead of at our real estate office. No big deal. My closing attorney, Paul Hensel, is great and offered to travel there as well. When we couldn't find a suitable 'official' place to settle, Paul suggested why not settle at the house itself that was being transacted. Everyone was fine with that so we did so. Again, no big deal.

The oddness began more so when the day of settlement arrived. A hurricane turned tropical storm up the east coast was blowing through-lots of rain and wind. Everyone still arrived on time ready to settle. Just prior to settling, while walking through the home, the sump pump stops working for whatever reason and the basement starts filling up with water, obviously because it is raining cats and dogs outside. Thank goodness the basement was unfinished but I thought the buyers would freak out certainly with the water coming in. The closing attorney (in his sixties), the buyer and seller start hustling stuff out of the basement in order to get it out of the way of the incoming water. After having done so, everyone is in the first floor and there was a three second silence which was only broken by the closing attorney who said, "Well, where should we sign the papers?" The seller offered the kitchen table and the buyer was excited to get started. To make a long story short, we settled.

Ultimately, we discovered that the float on the sump pump was stuck, that was the only problem. I never thought we would settle, though. It just goes to show you what I have always said and that is if a buyer and seller want to do a deal badly enough, it will happen no matter how loose the paperwork, light the deposit or difficult the circumstances are... 

Premier Agent Websites: Have a Question?
Profile picture for John Doering
Latest reply by John Doering
July 07 | 109 answers
Simple ideas every realtor and other professionals on zillow should follow to get a great reputation
Profile picture for Debra (Debbie) Rose
Latest reply by Debra (Debbie) Rose
May 07 | 72 answers
Sending listing reports to sellers
Latest reply by SteadyState
February 15 | 24 answers
Fellow Realtors/ Attorneys *Please be Aware of this Email Fraud Scam from China*
Profile picture for Denishia Hostetler
Latest reply by Denishia Hostetler
  • Posted by Ken Mischitelli
  • In Agents
Seller wants to use a Sliding Scale for our commission!
Profile picture for tlccentral
Latest reply by tlccentral
  • Posted by scott daniels
  • In Pro-to-Pro