Profile picture for marymatilda

What is the the average rate of return of a vinyl fence when added to a home and then put on market

I am wanting to put a vinyl picket fence around the front of my house, because I have a young daughter.  I also am planning on moving in the next 2 years.  Will the cost of adding a fence be beneficial at the time the house goes up for sale? The house is on a corner lot, there very little backyard area. 

April 09 2009 - Knoxville

As everyone has said, there is no guarantee a fence will increase the selling price of your house at all.  But, It defines the yard.  If it is consistent with the style of the house, it decorates the yard and house - it adds 'curb appeal'.  All of this can increase the likelihood of selling quickly and can keep the selling price closer to the asking price.  Consider it an investment in your child's safety and an enhancement to your sale.  But do not expect to automatically recover the cost.

I would not think that the increased cost of vinyl over wood would be returned to you if you sell in 2 years. A fence may add value if it make the space in the yard more appealing or useable for the next buyer. The first thing I did what I bought my last house was add a fence. Neighbors actually commented "Wow, I never knew that house even had a yard". If you treat the fence like part of the landscape, have it fit the style of the house (consider an inexpensive decoration across the top rail) and make it do a job like provide privacy or keep kids out of the street, I think you would see your investment back. I would think that you would get more back from a wood fence than a vinyl one since vinyl can cost 2-3x as much as wood fencing. In 2 years, you might not even need to restain a wood fence, but just lightly power wash it before the sale. My fence keeps my dog and kids safe and made my yard look bigger. Your house might benefit from a fence like that too.

It may add curb appeal.    I would do it for safety of your daughter, not for resale value.

a fence won't improve your value, but it's one of those warm/fuzzy things that might put you higher in the market range.