What is the value of a real estate agent?

I found interesting lately that people trying to save money and don't see a value of a full time realtor helping them to sell or even to buy a house. I think first consultation is critically important, so when people hire a realtor, they have a clear understanding of his/her job description, types of representation. My advise to realtors is: don't skip the first consultation, your job will be easier down the road. My advice to buyers: go to the first meeting at a realtor's office before you see any houses. You have get to know the person you are going to work with and you need to understand the process, you need to know how much or how little that realtor will do for you, you need to know the schedule of your realtor. Is she /he going to pick up the phone at midnight or working hours are only 9-7 and no weekends.

September 09 2010 - US

Newsflash - I, for one, am not going to pick up the phone at midnight, although I might be emailing someone then. Unlike a doctor, I am not on call 24 hours a day, and no one will die if I turn off my cell phone from, say 9PM until 8AM the next day when I begin receiving calls. I am usually available 7 days a week, however.

As far as what "my "value"is -  you're all in luck - I go on sale on Monday morning for the new , low price of $9.99

:)

Agents need to set their boundries. It's one thing to be conveniently available and another to be your client's doormat. Would an attorney answer their phone at midnight? I doubt it. Would the client like to pay the fees an attorney would charge to draw up a purchase agreement? I think I hold a lot of value to the client.

Posted by MagicalHomes in 2008

"Depends what you do with the body!  If you break it down to just mineral and chemical components, about $4.50 (U.S. Bureau of Chemistry and Soils)

65% Oxygen
18% Carbon
10% Hydrogen
3% Nitrogen
1.5% Calcium
1% Phosphorous
0.35% Potassium
0.25% Sulfur
0.15% Sodium
0.15% Chlorine
0.05% Magnesium
0.0004% Iron
0.00004% Iodine

When broken down into fluids, tissues and germ fighting our bodies are worth more than $45 million.  Heck the marrow alone could yield you $23 million, based on 1,000 grams at $23,000 per gram.

Does that help?"

An agent can either be an invaluable or highly valued asset...or a disastrous financial mistake.
Part time vs. Full time?
How about competent, diligent and knowledgeable.

Profile picture for Dunes....
I give Agents a lot of value...I'm always saying things like "Oh Yeah"-- "Don't think so" --"Is not"--"Says who"--"Yer kiddin, right?"
"NAR SMAR"--"Whine and Spam"--"Who you calling a Bozo?"
"We're all Bozo's on this Bus"

These things add value to the Agent because...Oh wait, I just read your Question

Never Mind

A good realtor can save you thousands, or tens of thousands, of dollars. A good realtor can also save you a lot of grief and even keep you out of legal trouble and expensive lawsuits.

Why would anyone want to call an agent at Midnight?  Or are you talking about house sabotage and water main breaks?

The only people that should be called at midnight are:
1) The fire department
2) The paramedics
3) The IRS: (800)tax-1040.

Frankly, if there was a water main break at midnight on the house I was buying I wouldn't know and I wouldn't call you.  And if it was a house that I was selling that you were pimping, I wouldn't call you either as I would either have it shut off faster than making that call, or I wouldn't be in the area, so I wouldn't know.

A good realtor will know whats coming on the market before it hits MRIS. I pride myself on networking with other agents, builders, and the local community so my clients will always have first access to new listings. In a competitive market the value added to this alone is priceless.

Yes, it is a competitive seller's market; and will become even more so as prices continue to drop and foreclosures continue to increase.

So can you list and close in less than 45 days, at 1.2x the price the seller wants?  (Not the list price).

Just remember, the seller loses about 7 to 8% in transaction costs when selling...; and in the buying/selling cycle, about 10 to 16% loss, before factoring in bubble deflation and devaluation of the dollar.

Profile picture for dacolan
A good realtor can save you thousands, or tens of thousands, of dollars.

Absolutely. When I first started lurking on this forum a few years ago AZ Rob in particular (and a handful of others in general) easily saved me tens of thousands of dollars by thoroughly explaining how much better off I was financially by renting.

I totally agree with the initial consultation.  Especially with close friends or relationships that we typically short change.  A lot of times the people that are closest to us do not know what we do exactly.  We just assume they do because we spend a lot of time with them. 

Another point to make for realtors is when you show a house to your friend who is your client, dress up profeccionally and wear a name tag. He/she will treat you differently. You just remind them again you are working and it's your job.

How much does a Home Inspection cost?
Profile picture for Mike Opyd
Latest reply by Mike Opyd
Can the seller keep the earnest money after inspection?
Profile picture for zuser20140628062544588
Latest reply by zuser20140628062544588
4 unit Multi family house
Profile picture for moneyclip8565
Latest reply by moneyclip8565
July 04 | 2 answers
Pre-approval good for FHA or Conventional?
Profile picture for Rick Phillips
Latest reply by Rick Phillips
July 03 | 15 answers
Bypass the Buyers Agent and Win!!!
Latest reply by user4130081
July 03 | 94 answers