What is you opinion of Accompanied Showings. A pain or a help?

You are out showing property, You have a list of five homes to show. They love home number 2. You are running late for number 3-the accompanied home, so is number 4.
The broker of number 3 cannot wait. Are we having fun here? Home owners want to get back in to put the baby to bed. My buyers need to stop for a diaper change. Accompanied showings are not working here.

Accompanied showings are fine for a large estate, that will take you awhile to show any way, but not a 3 bedroom home.

I have seen more homes not get shown at all because the broker just could not get there at a specific time. Seller's are not making it easy for anyone. 

• June 16 2011 - Norwell
  • 0

The only time I find accompanied appointments helpful is when the home is very  unique and there is a need for the listing agent to show the property. Most times it is just a big inconvenience for the buying agent and the buyer.

No. Unless the home has white carpets or animals and the sellers are out of town there is no reason.

On some listings it is a help and should be done.  Some homes have amenities that showing agents may miss.  Most do not.

The listing agent should realize that when scheduling multiple showings, delays can and do happen. When/if they take a listing where they must be present, the agent should realize it may at times be inconvenient and they have chosen to accept this.

When I list high end homes, I offer to meet the showing agent ahead of time to go over any items that may help them do the best showing they can without me being present during the showing with their buyers. If the agent doesn't do it, I choose to be at the showing if it will help the sellers, but I block out adequate time for it.

I have not taken listings where the seller required me to be present at all showings (yet) and explain to them that making the home more difficult to show reduces their chance of a sale. I also explain that buyers are more comfortable without the listing agent present.

The only time I've encountered an accompanied showing is when I've watched 'Million Dollar Listing' on Bravo. I can imagine it might be important for an upper end home, but I can't imagine the need for an agent to be present for a typical home in my town. And considering some agents will show upwards of 12 to 20 listings in one day, the logistics of such showings would be a nightmare.

It is definately a hinderance especially with a less than accomidating agent when their lack of planning interferes with your schedule.