Profile picture for rasridge

What kind of liability would I have to let a sublet tenant apply for a homestead credit?

I have a tenant that rents a room to her mother. The mother wants to apply for a tax credit, called the Wisconsin Homestead Credit. The mother is not on the lease but pays a portion of the rent to the daughter that pays us the total. As landlords we would have to sign the credit form confirming her portion of the rent. Would this give the mother any legal standing as related to the lease?   
  • February 01 2012 - US
  • 0

Personally, I would not do it unless the mother was on the lease. I think it opens you up to liability and depending on the laws in your state it may give her other rights that belong to a tenant. You can ask the avvo forum your question. They are licensed attorneys there that will answer one question for free.

Profile picture for Don Greenberg
I would sign the mother onto the lease unless the tenant does not want the mom on the lease. If mom gets audited and can't prove her connection to the lease other than $300 (example) coming out of her account every month, they may turn to you for having to sign.

Make it cut and dry, put mother on the lease. You don't want to be liable for anything for trying to help her out. I know there are good people out there, but watch out for yourself.