Profile picture for mortgageapplication

What percentage of the downpayment can I have as a gift? Can it be 100%?

I am buying a house with a conventional 30 year mortgage and would like to make a 20% downpayment to avoid paying mortgage insurance. One lender told me I could use gift money for the entire amount, and another lender told me that 5% of that is required by law to be my own money. Is there a law about this? Does anyone know what percentage (if any) has to be my own money, or does this vary by lender? Thank you!
  • January 17 2013 - US
  • 0

It can be a gift. And yes the other gentleman was right just make sure it is an acceptable source.

by law? Ha!  I'd say I'm sure the USC doesn't address down payment requirements.

If this is a primary residence then Fannie Mae allows the entire amount to be a gift. (from an acceptable source).