Profile picture for IrisChicas

What programs are there that will help me buy a home? I am 31yr old unemployed and disabled female.

Please help me outt, I am a 31yr old female that is on disability, which means i have no job but do get money. Please Help me find a program to buy a home or any qualifications that i will need.

June 10 2011 - Enterprise

Renting is a lot different than owning. Once you own anything that goes wrong is something you have to spend money on. There is no one to go to for help. If you can not do a lot of the work a house needs add in some very expensive labor costs for the future.

Have you been able to save up money for a down payment yet? If you have been unable to save any money you are not ready to buy a house.

Imagine buying a house then a month later you lose the furnace, the roof leaks, and you tear a pair of jeans trying to figure out why your car just died. It could happen. Could you afford to handle this kind of situation? It could happen although it probably would not.

The blogs below can give you some good ways to look at the questions about buying or renting a house. Whatever you decide make that decision from an informed perspective and not a desire not knowing what you are really getting into.
"How to determine what you can safely afford to pay towards your monthly mortgage payment. Lenders may give a different number. "

"Does it make more sense to buy, or to rent? Here is the way to find out for sure."

"Why rent if you could buy for less money? Valid reasons inside."

Once you have decided that buying is your best decision the blog below shows the basic house buying process.
"Its your first home and you are looking for something but are not sure where to start to look or about loans."

"What should I watch out for when choosing a home to buy so that I don't jump into a money pit?"

If buying is something that you are able to do and makes economic sense go ahead and buy then enjoy your own house. Just be sure you have looked at everything involved instead of getting some very expensive surprises after you bought a house and can not afford anything more.

Lenders look at credit and income when qualifying someone for a mortgage. Call your lender and they should be able to help you.

I suggest for you to contact a local mortgage lender and provide them with your financial information in more detail. They will be able to tell you if there are any programs you may qualify for.

Mortgage programs change frequently, and vary from state to state. So, it really depends on where you live (or want to live)

I wish you the best of luck

I've been out of the mortgage business to keep on top of mortgage programs that you may qualify for. Why not interview some local loan officers? They may want to run your credit report (and charge you a fee), so instead of doing that, go to annualcreditreport.com and print out a copy of your credit report from each of the three credit bureaus (its free, once per year). Take the reports with you and ask them to use that information. Any good loan officer should be able to estimate your score from those reports.

Sometimes your local City will have housing programs to assist you in your purchase.

My other suggestion would be to look at owner financing. This is different from renting because you will be a bona fide co-owner of the property. Depending on your agreement you will enjoy a share of future appreciation, a share of mortgage principal reduction and enjoy the use of the house as an owner does. The home owner becomes the bank and so they can help you with any up front contingency payments (aka down payment) and maybe more flexible on the monthly payment to match your income.

I don't know your local housing area, but there are probably many home owners desperate to move and even if your monthly payment does not cover the mortgage payment, the owners may cover the overage.

Greg Shepherd