Profile picture for Jmarkus79

What roof color should I go with??

I need to install a new roof soon and can't decide on what color to chose.  I can completely change the look of my house at this point and could you some honest opinions.   A pic of my house current is below 

I was thinking of a darker grey because my shutters are dark green.   Should I maybe do the Grey and change the shutters or stick with the brown like it has (maybe add a redish color and red shutters?  What would really update the house?  The Siding is a light tan/yellow color.  Here is another pic

Thanks all!!
  • December 29 2011 - Woodbridge

I would do blue so you could get your house on the evening news.

Profile picture for Steven Ard
My personal opinion would be a color called "weathered wood" by Tamko.  GAF and other brand shingles carry similar colors, although their names may differ. It is a medium grey with a little tan, brown and black mixed in. It blends very well with the current colors of your home. I see that other posts mention the rise in energy cost using darker shingles. I am not aware of anyone who claims a significant rise in their energy bill after installing darker shingles. I, as a general contractor, have installed many new roofs. You can go to roofing websites that provide pictures of several different style/color homes that you can view different color shingles on.

Profile picture for melisacamp1
Depending on where you live, you may choose a color for heating/cooling savings. In Arizona, you should choose a lighter color so your roof reflects heat rather than absorbs it. Color makes a difference and can be 100's of degrees different. A light colored roof also helps reduce the heat island effect. To read more details and other considerations see my blog post, http://greenqueen.featuredblog.com/?p=75.

Medium to light grey is always a safe option in Woodbridge. Browns and tans are also pleasant but show stains a little faster.  

It's your house and you can do what you like but Please, Please, Please try not to seriously consider blue, purple, yellow, red, pink, weird greens, or any other unusual color.

If you want to change the look you can replace the roof with a new color, leave the shutters, and paint your front door a deep or medium bright color. There are some special no-drip front door paints that are great products.  A new fixture on the exterior post lamp could be a good weekend project. That would be cheaper and easier to modify than the shutters and still freshen up the exterior.

Look at your neighbors.  Stay in the medium range for efficiency.  Don't go by the samples in Lowes or Home Depot.  You can't tell anything by that.  Ask them to give you some addresses of people who have put those colors on their house so you can go look at them.  If you stick with a color that appears naturally in nature, you usually won't go wrong.  If you want to go wild, go wild with the shutters because you can easily change that.  Your stuck with your roof for decades.  Best wishes.

Profile picture for blue screen exile
I like purple or yellow or blue.

Blue was very popular on many homes in Japan.

Of course standard colors are much easier to obtain for repairs.
And lighter colors tend to do better to minimize heat gain during the summer.

Checking with your HOA is important, and I think that a lighter gray will go well with a multitude of colors, basically any color, whereas the browns could be a bit more limiting.

But from personal experience, my advice on picking a color is not to just look at a small sample, or a brochure, but go to a local dealer that carries the shingle and see it in person. Many times when you have a "whole roof" of the shingles it looks very different than in the brochure, or a small sample. It pays to drive around neighborhoods to see the difference in colors as well, or if they have a picture of complete roof at least....Roof colors are not something we always think about, but they do have a great impact on the overall "look" of your home. Good Luck!

Hello Jmarcus,

IF you live in a planned community, I suggest that you check with your HOA to make sure you choose a color approved by your HOA - if you do not, they may give you a hard time later.

YES, you are obligated to obey your HOA rules. This is why it is VERY important to read the HOA docs BEFORE purchasing a home :-)  

I would stick with grey - a very light shade.   The trend is towards  white roofs for minimize heat gain.

A shade of Grey would compliment your existing siding color.

As your home is in the southern half of the U.S. I would stick with the lighter color already on the home. A dark grey will absorb more sun (heat) and would make your home more expensive to cool.