What should I do? My agent's company has listed property I'm very interested in.

I just started working with an agent and they are doing great inquiring about properties listed by other firms on my behalf. My agent's firm just recently listed an REO property they represent that I'm very interested in. How do I handle this, as it seems my "buyer's" agent, may now find themselves in a position of "seller's" agent, if I decide to pursue this property listed by their firm?
  • February 27 2012 - US
  • 0

In FL, Realtors are considered to be what is called a transaction broker.  This means that a brokerage can have one agent who lists a property, and one agent who works only with the buyer for that same property.  In practice neither agent is likely to  be disclosing information about each party internally in the company.

Depending on your state, you can handle this different ways.

In Alabama for instance, the Agent can represent both the seller and buyer, but it has to be disclosed and approved by both parties. It is called Alabama Real Estate Agency Disclosure (RECAD)

I am not sure what the laws are in your state.

Profile picture for Rita Walker
Is your agent a listing agent on this home? If not, your agent can still work for you. Just because the listing is with the same company does not mean you cannot be represented by someone else in the company.
Dual agency is in place because of the Broker.
If you do not trust your agent to give their fiduciary duty to you, then find another agent.