Profile picture for FP0262

What should I look for in a loan modification attorney? How do I know which one is good?

June 10 2009 - Bridgeport

A Good Real Estate Attorney will give you examples of previous modifications approvals, have a 100% money back guarantee, and make sure you have your loan paperwork go through an audit to make sure your lender didn't break any laws when they approved your loan! and also not charge you an arm and leg! 

Profile picture for axelbello
Give me a call and I can help you

[content removed by moderator for being self-promotional]

Working with your lender is the first step. Why would they want to discount your rate and lose thousands of dollars? Its really a tough and a stringent process when you do not have legal backing. They know that you are not a professional in the industry and will high ball you all the way to the bank. Depending on your lender, you may be eligible for the HAM. Check out propublica.org for a list and makinghomeaffordable.gov to see about the HAM..Many lenders are giving back this money, so the  window is closing. Google your lender and see. I know Chase is planning to give back the TARP money in about a month.

When looking for attorney representation, you want a seasoned professional with years of experience in real estate law. You want to make sure your investment is the best that you can possibly get. [self-promotional post, removed by moderator]

Profile picture for Modification Secrets
I think before you start looking for an attorney, explore the idea of doing it on your own. Many lenders are actually appealing to their customers and encouraging them to call directly.  Almost all banks now offer some kind of modification option.  Once you have a basic understanding of the process and the general qualifications you really can do it on your own.  I am not suggesting that you completely abandon the idea of using an attorney,  but suggesting that you explore the possibility of saving some money and doing it on your own.  If you Click on my profile , you will see some additional resources to help you decide which is the best way for you to go.

My first questions would be:

- How many have you done?
- How many were approved/denied?
- Do you charge me if you can not get let modification approved? how much?