Profile picture for auctionsaver

What should I put in a gift basket for my real estate agent?

My agent has really done a great job so far helping me in buying a house that I am hopefully closing on come Tuesday.  I was thinking of typing up a really nice referral letter and giving her a copy and sending it to her broker.  Also wanted to put together a small gift basket.  I will probably put a variety of nice stuff in there.  Coffee mug, coffee, chocolates.  Might put a gift card to a restaurant in there.  Anything else that you think I should put in there for her?

She has really been patient with my personal brand of crazy over the last few months.

August 26 2011 - US

I guarantee you she didn't work for free.  A sincere thnak you works.  Forget the coffe mug, coffee chocaltes.

David Cooper

WOW, good to see!  Write a nice review for her on Zillow.com!  A gas card is probably the best you could give her.

This is very nice. I tell all my clients referrals are the best gift & awesome reviews are icing on the cake. It's great to hear about happy clients . Best of luck in your new home!

More clients like you would be gift enough! What a nice question :) Glad to see a happy buyer.

What a nice thought. I am sure the Real Estate agent will be very happy with some great reviews on this site and some referrals or perhaps you could go out for lunch!

Keep in mind we can't accept anything "of value" as a gift as a result of a real estate transaction. The types of things you mention are probably fine, but as an agent, I would actually prefer lots of nice reviews on different web sites & referrals to all your acquaintances who are looking to buy or sell a home - more business that results from this would be the greatest gift ever!

Profile picture for Dunes....
What?...I can't post my phone number in my comments for people to see..against the Rules?

Well I'll just put it next to my Photo for people to see I'm sure that's alright

It's so good to hear all has gone so well with your transaction that you want to thank your agent! The best gift (sorry about the cliche here) you can give your agent is the gift of friendship, strong referrals that can be used in public domain and keep her business cards handy to give to friends who come to see your new house! Your agent will always want to be available to you down the road for years to come for advice and to continue a good relationship...

I think the BEST gift for any agent is one or a combo of the following (preferably all):
 1)  A testimonial letter (what a great job they did for you; that you would use them again; and that you would refer them to anyone you know) that they can use on their website/on-line profile.
 2)  Review them on Zillow, Trulia and Yelp (as many sites that they are registered on)
3)  Refer them to all your friends and family.

If you can gift one or all of the above, there is no need to buy them anything.

I personally think it's great that you want to give your agent a gift, however, they are about to get paid for all that work.

any gift will be valued, but a gift of something to do for themselves/family will be used and remembered most.   A good review on several sites is better than the letter.  Some on the go healthy snack, a coupon for something they can do with kids or spouse or whoever it is in their life that has to tolerate the phone calls all the time.    I've only had one customer give me a gift, it was a bottle of wine, a coupon for a massage and pedicure, and a some chocolate.   That was really nice!

I don't know about real estate agents. By law, mortgage professionals cannot accept gifts. We both get paid for our services. If you were pleased, a nice card, a note to her broker and remembering her to your fiends and family would be a nice gesture.

Happy funding, Rudi

Over the months you've probably picked up some ideas about the outside life of the agent, so a gift certificate to the store/restaurant that reflects their interests would be most thoughtful.   

Similarly, be very thoughtful about material gifts, most people have too many coffee mugs (and some hate coffee) so "nice stuff" is different from one person to the next.    What part of life has your agent been missing by dealing with your personal brand of crazy?   Walking the dog?  give some gourmet dog biscuits.   Fun with the kids?  A skate park pass (if they like it).    Riding their mountain bike?   A gift certificate for bits and bobs from REI.

Of course, your agent is getting a nice check at closing for his/her time

Reviews - consider writing a review (after closing) on Zillow if the agent has a profile here.

Sounds like you are on the right path.  How about a small scented candle, a picture frame.  One of those digital picture frames would be a really great idea.