Profile picture for Scooper73

What should you do if your agent has a property listing that you're interested in?

February 04 - US

Florida is unique with the type of agency called Transaction Broker.  The rules are always different here.

As far as another agent in the same office that negates the concept of equal representation because the Broker is common to both sides and the Broker is under contract to represent the SELLER, thus Dual agency.  If you are OK with it go for it,  if not find a buyer's agent.  Unless stated otherwise in writing all agents represent the SELLER until the become a buyer's agent in writing

February 04
Personally I believe that a buyer is entitled to full representation just like a seller is. Therefore, I would suggest that you speak with your agent about the possibility of him or her helping you to receive full representation from another agent in the office. I personally never work both sides of a transaction because one side is considered a client while the other side is considered a customer. The client relationship is stronger, and this is the relationship that provides full representation. When I have a client interested in one of my listings, I explain to them the benefit of having their own representation, and then, if they would like this (and they always have), I introduce them to another agent in my office and we enter into a dual agency relationship. I ask the other agent to provide me with a referral fee for the referral, but beyond that, the other agent owes absolute confidentiality to their new client, and I am not allowed to share with my listing client anything that the now previous buyer client has shared with me. A little complicated I know, but this really produces the best result for the clients, which is all I care about! Thanks for the question!

Mike

February 04
Not every state uses transaction brokers. The agent would be a dual agent in which case they represent both of you and so must treat each equally and fairly but their is no allegiance to either. Whatever you tell the agent the agent must share with the seller so don't tell much. Dual agency works just fine most of the time.

February 04
They are probably the best person to answer any questions you have on the property.  Generally they can also assis you with the purchase by acting as a Transaction Broker with limited representation to both parties. 

February 04