Profile picture for OnePawUp

What things should you have walked from (inspection) but didn't ?

House just went through inspection and there are only minor things that came up.

Just wondering for those of you that have been through the process - is there anything in retrospect that you should have walked away from during your inspection contingency?

• August 17 2008 - US

My humble opinion is that everything is negotiable with the seller for repairs.   I did not request everything found in the inspection, but I did request major things.

What would have actually made me walk?  Being on a toxic waste site, OR straddling an earthquake fault, or major structural, electrical or plumbing issues that the seller wouldn't repair or give cost reduction to cover OR a landslipping hazard up the slope that might crush the house.  

What would make you walk?

Profile picture for Mark75NYC

Underground oil tank

Profile picture for OnePawUp

Well, the house we are purchasing is a REO and as such comes with an "as-is" addendum.

The house was built in 1956 and we expected that it may need some updating but were pleasantly surprised with how well the house has held up. The only sticking point for me is the electrical - house functions fine - only running on 70 amps - will need an upgrade to 100amp. I can deal with needing new floors, paint, etc.

Foundation is solid, plumbing is copper and great, roof is new. Those are my big three - if any of those had come back as having problems I would have to think long & hard about it before proceeding but luckily all of those came back great.

I would like to bring all of the issues that the inspector deemd as "needs follow-up before close of escrow" to the bank but would it be wasting everyone's time since its being sold "as is"?

It sounds like the biggies are in fine form.   One would expect a 1956 house to need some updating, so just budget and keep working through the list. (Every house needs updating from time to time, it is just the fun of homeownership). 

What issues did the inspector deem as "need follow-up before close of escrow"?   Are there any safety issues or ones that will make your mortgage company choke?    As it is being sold "as is", I'd probably just acknowledge them and budget for them.  

Profile picture for OnePawUp

I don't know what types of issues make mortgage companies choke - this is my first house :)

The only safety issue identified was the electrical panel is made by Zinsco which are supposedly notorious for having issues and was recommended to be replaced.

Profile picture for Nick Gromicko

This might be helpful: http://www.nachi.org/what_really_matters.htm

Nick Gromicko

InterNACHI Founder

Profile picture for 80smusicrox

OnePaw,

The house we purchased (short sale) also has one of those Zinsco electric panels...amazingly a 220 watt which is not usually seen.  Our house (the original part) was built in 1967.

Being a short sale, it was also an "as is"...so absolutely no repairs paid by the the sellers or the bank.  The Zinsco panel did not need to be replaced.  It was in okay shape...wires needed tightening and one breaker bar needed replacement.  And all the breakers needed to be labeled.  The most expensive fix was up in the attic...a lot of half-a$$ shoddy work with open spliced wires and uncovered junction boxes.  Lots of little electrical issues...all added up to $2800 to fix and make the place safe.  If we needed a whole new electric panel...looking at $1700-2200 depending on who ya hire.

With the newly renovated interior where we thought we were home-free, we just realized the contractor/flipper seller didn't have a propane line put in for the stove...but there was a stub out for it.  Finding lots of things that didn't quite get finished the whole way through.

Profile picture for 80smusicrox

meant 220 amp

Profile picture for drj9
  • drj9

My home which was built in 1954 was well kept for years, though the owners became frail and died they did not make certin updates or modernization. So after we lived there and I graduated from college I changed the plumming, roof, bath and kitcthen. These were needed when we bought the place but since it was not beaten nor poorly crafted just neglected for a few years it really shined. I guess I wiuld walk away if it had multi-famly over use, abuse or termite.

Profile picture for broker_GRI

This is so funny because I would have advised any of my clients except the hardiest of contractors to walk from the house I bought in 2003…
Issues w/permits, structural, major structural roof repair, foundation, plumbing, wireing…hmmm that about sums that one up :-)

Onepaw: I don't know what types of issues make mortgage companies choke - this is my first house :)

There are none as we do not require a copy of it, nor do we want a copy of it.  That is something that is strictly between you and the seller.

You may find this useful: Identifing Potential Homeowners Insurance Issues - Paragon Home Inspectons Evanston / Chicago,  as you will need insurance in order to obtain a mortgage.

Profile picture for Mr Caveat

most inpectors give me an opinion of what the problem is and approx what remediation would cost... some even say whether they would be comfortable paying market price(some dont)...

although something like septic tank or oil tank would be a pain that people only choose to live with once;)