When I went to suntrust for a preapproval, the mortgage person referred me to a realtor.

I have a sick feeling that these two are in cahoots with each other to nickel and dime me to death. I am looking for my first home and my loan amount is in the 45000. My realtor is now telling me that i basically will not find anything liveable. Does someone know if Wells Fargo is a good bank to work with? And does anyone know of a decent, nice , honest, truthful realtor here in Salisbury, NC? I need help. Thank you.
  • June 06 2012 - Salisbury
  • 0

The fact that you were referred to a given agent, does not mean that you have to stick to that one person.  The first thing you need to develop with an agent is trust, if you do not trust neither, then change lenders and agents.  By the way $45,000 in many towns  does not buy much, even in today's economy.  Have you looked, yourself, at listings in that price category, have you gone inside them with your realtor?

Thank you for the info. The GFE was $41,900. I

There are a lot of Realto'rs who work with mortgage companies because those mortgage lenders have proven to work hard for their clients and get the job done and there are a lot of lenders who refer their clients to realtors for the same reason, they believe that that other 'professional' will help guide you to a successful real estate closing and get you into your new home. Because of RESPA and serious guidelines, it would be difficult for lender and Realtor to nickel and dime you,...however, if you are feeling uncomfortable , by all means change your lender and if you are not signed with your Realtor, change them too, if you are this uncomfortable with it all.If you have an offer on a property and you change lenders it could seriously impact your closing. If you haven't then you can simply pull down the professionals tab here on Zillow and search for one near you.
Did the lender give you a GFE (good faith estimate)? That will show you what your costs are. You can post it here on Zillow and see what the lenders think....or you can contact another professional and ask them via email what they think.

I am so sorry you are feeling uncomfortable, there are so many wonderful, wonderful Realtors and lenders who are only trying to make your purchase go as smoothly as possible. You have no idea how rocky a purchase can get!  
Best of luck to you.