When is the best time to list a home, FRIDAY?

Dennis M. Fisher of Rapid City Mortgage comepany says:  " List a home on Friday and you'll have a greater chance of success when selling it, according to Redfin, which analyzed 1.2 million listings in 16 markets over 21 months to determine the best day of the week for selling a home."  If you're thinking of listing (and we might try Friday just to see if this is true) [hotlink deleted by Zillow moderator.  Please see our Good Neighbor Policy] the best darn market analysis you will ever see!  Tell me what you think about listing on Friday?
  • November 11 2011 - Toledo
  • 0

Profile picture for edboner
There is not a best day to list your home...in my opinion.  While Friday may or may not appear better....all home listings, assuming you use MLS, should propogate out to various listing sites rapidly.   Most agents will go through a series of calls and spend time online with each new listing.  I tend to contact neighbors, listing agents for similar properties, promote on social media, set up pictures/videos, have custom signs made, set up feedback and email for the client.  Expect everything to be in place and running correctly in 3 to 7 days.  The key is in creating all traffic in a relatively short time period...not necessarily on one particular day.

Now...there might be an argument for the best day to advertise or to hold an open house, run advertisements or mail information to clients.  

Months....in Northeast Florida, I would prefer to list in  March or April if selling. 

The best time to sell your home IS WHEN YOU'RE HEADED TOWARD MOVING -- packing boxes and the like; SHOPPING for a new place; You're being relocated for whatever reason.
PICK A DAY, ANY DAY WHEN YOU'RE READY TO GET A REAL ESTATE GROOVE ON.

Well they tell you the best day and time to end a auction on Ebay is Sunday night because more people are on the internet on Sunday nights than any other time of the week.  So with that logic I say list it Sunday and your house will be top of the list when people are looking Sunday night.

I disagree... I believe that Wednesday is the best time to list a home. Internet sites like Zillow, Trulia, Yahoo all take 48 hours to populate the homes onto their sites. For your home to be exposed to the most traffic, you want it to be able to show for the very first open house on all available sites. Furthermore, the MLS sometimes sends out its prospecting emails in the evening to clients (at least here in Northeast Ohio), so if you list on a Friday and it misses the cutoff, then the prospecting emails to potential clients wont even come until late Saturday!

Profile picture for TopNJAgent
Weekends are the high time for buyers with jobs and those are the buyers you want so listing to catch the weekend makes sense.  But it will not cure a pricing problem. So if you are considering Friday or Monday, grab Friday so you catch the weekend. But otherwise, I agree with Gary, list as soon as you are ready and price it right. 

The most important factor is that the property be priced to sell and in the best move in condition possible. Sometimes sellers can out-think the process, I can appreciate the "listing towards the later part of the week theory or stats". Unless you're having a very special open house with a luxury party or upscale charity function...list it as soon as it's ready to show. Best wishes!

Listing it right before the weekends for open houses makes sense

Never heard this... Interesting..

Profile picture for New_Englander
I just read the "Related Article" (lower right corner of screen) titled, "Best time to list your house? Thursday." It was written in 2008, and frankly, I wonder if day of week matters at ALL now, other than (possibly) in the hottest markets.  The advice was to put it on the MLS as soon as possible after midnight on Thursday, and then all day Thursday, when realtors are lining up weekend showings, it will be listed as "zero days on market."  Friday, it will only be one day on market, and Saturday, only two days on the market.  The thought is that the fewer days a house has been on the market when it's shown, the more likely it will be to bring in a top-dollar offer.  Seriously, though... when was the last time houses went in a matter of days, in most markets?  If, like almost all of the houses in my town, my house is going to sit on the market for 6 months or more, day of week doesn't matter one bit.  Even if it were to miraculously sell in one month, the day of the week I listed it wouldn't matter.

Profile picture for TheKEYSTeam
Considering your local MLS may take up to 24 hours to send out emails, do you think Thursday would be better so that everyone sees it on Friday?

Sign papers anytime, but if the Realtor puts it in the MLS on Thursday, then the Realtors and consumers will have time to line it up for Sat AM....

In my opinion there is no perfect day of the week to list your house.  I think it is more important to list very early in the spring.  Spring for real estate is January not April.

Cindy Schlee

[hotlink removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

Profile picture for Zita Billmann
I like to be ready to go on the market on Thursday. This makes the listing fresh for agents & buyers for weekend viewing. Buyers & agents have enough time to prepare for their weekend tour.  The weekends are the best time for buyers and sellers....so go on when the buyers are ready to buy.

Profile picture for Caveat Emptor
correlation vs causality.

Start date doesn't matter to me.  If marketed properly, priced appropriately for condition, comparable sales, location, amenities then it will sell.

Good Luck

Profile picture for COREXRE
Generally speaking, listing (actually writing a listing agreement,etc) in the middle of the week to allow a few days to get your property on a local MLS is advisable.  Few RE agents place the property on the local MLS in such a timely manner so as to get the listing and the MLS all on the same day.....or even the next.  Allow 1 or 2 days.  So if you want a Firday 'listing' on the MLS, I would recomment writing a 'listing contract' on a Tuesday or Wednesday. 

Also - see the prior reply from Sharon ..... she makes a good point regarding showings, open house, etc!!

I like Wednesdays (not because as someone else said it begins with a 'w'... although that was pretty funny) 
The reasoning....when I start to create my buyers tours for the weekends, I will start several days inadvance and add to it if new homes come along, Wednesday gives me time for that.If I am working with two buyers on either Saturday or Sunday,it gives me lead time to build a great tour.
 If it is my listing, Wednesday gives me time to also launch an Open House and post it on most of the valuable lists like Zillow that consumers use.

if properly priced. you can list your home anytime and I will sell.
PLease do not le miths influence you
 Location ,location will always work best.

Mid week is best for me with broker open house caravan day on thursday in my Westchester NY market. This insures enough time for agents to schedule weekend appointments.

I agree that if it is priced right, any day will work. I do like to post listings earlier in the week to make sure it feeds to all on-line sites before late Thursday.

Profile picture for Rita Walker
Wednesday is my preferred day to list - leaving ample time for syndication, preparation and communication, prior to the initial Sunday open house.

The sooner in the week the better. I think Friday is not the best day as it can get missed in weekend showings. When buyers go out over the weekend, they usually have their list of homes to view. I think listing earlier in the week is better.

I list on Tuesday or Wednesday.  Why, it takes 24-48 hours to uplaod to public websites so that buyers can view th ehome by Friday.  Also in our MLS system the notifications to agent with a matching search criteria goes out the next day so if I list on Wednesday agents with buyers will not see the match until Thursday's batch is emailed out....that is why I like to list on Tuesday or Wednesday

I generally go for Wednesday (at any time) or Thursday (in the morning). I have seen lots of Friday entries get missed by agents because they pulled on Thursday night before leaving the office to get together a list to review and send to clients for weekend showings. Some of the listing sites don't pull from the MLS more than once or twice per day either, so it gives enough time for the listings to get in for the weekend without adding too much to the date count.

Anyone have a favorite day of the year to list? I like the Wednesday before Memorial Day weekend.

My guess with the Friday thing is likely correlation not causation.

The whole Friday thing reminds me of the book Freakonomics. Where you think that there are correlations there are none and where you don't expect them they still exist.

I suggest on Friday 11/11/11 at 11:11 .... correlation is not causation.   Because two numbers are slightly different doesn't mean they are statistically different.

This reminds me of causative factors verses correlative factors. Just because there is a correlation between events does not mean one event causes the other or that they have anything to do with each other.

It is far more likely that certain realtors who price right and market well choose to post more on Friday than it is likely that Friday is a special day that causes more sales to happen when posting a house for sale on that particular day.

It occurs to me that Wednesday does not have it's own viral video song and no one says TGIW. So unfair that one day of the week like Friday gets all the airtime.

...but RedFin said to list on Friday here so it must be true. It's official. There is only day of the week to list now. 

I don't follow trends, so I'll be listing on Wednesday. It starts with a "W". W's are pretty.

That is one of the dumbest things I've ever read! Nice spam blog though.

1. 1
  2. 2