When landlord sells property and your lease has less than a month remaining can he force you to lea

You your lease as tenant hass less than one month remaining (20 days) and landlord wants to sell property can he force you to vacate the property in order for the transaction to work with the new buyer. What are rights is new owner buys property as main residence vs rental property?
  • May 25 2012 - Athens

It sounds like your landlord have given you notice that the lease isn't renewing, which in most states only needs to be 30 days. (Please check your state's landlord/tenant laws.)    If a foreclosure and someone is going to move in as their primary residence, then they have to give 90 days.    However, you can't ask for that when you've already received notice that the lease isn't renewing. 

They can offer to pay you to move before the 20 days, so you might propose that alternative (think of what it is worth to you recognizing that you'd be moving anyway).  

You lease is still valid and he can't make you leave until it expires. The lease should have some verbiage saying what happens at the end of the lease. Does landlord have to give you 2 weeks notice? A month notice? No notice? You need to see what it says but you better start planning to find a new place to live.

I love Wetdawg's response.  Everything has a price.  What if you could ask for him to cover your moving costs and pay for a hotel while you look for a new place?  At worst, you just stay the entire term.

That's funny. I signed a three year rent to own lease with your company, Marketplace Homes. My lease doesn't end until November of 2014 but the homeowner is evicting Marketplace NEXT MONTH, which in turn evicts ME! And guess what? Marketplace Homes doesn't want to cover any of our expenses .... moving costs, deposit, first months rent and an increase in rent for the remainder of our lease term. Oh and they also don't want to return our deposit or any of the option money we've put towards the house we're about to get kicked out of because of your incredibly horrid business practices. 

So me, my wife, my two children (4 & 6) and my elderly parents are going to be kicked out of a home we have been paying for, HAD the "exclusive and irrevocable right to purchase" according to your contract and Marketplace Homes doesn't want to do anything honest or right to rectify this terrible situation. I really, really feel sorry for anyone that chooses to do business with your "company."

I just ran across a tenant who had been in a house that was foreclosed on by Fannie Mae. He had been in the house for 3 years and the landlord was not paying the mortgage. Fannie Mae gave him a moving package to help him with the expense of moving, which I thought was extremely generous. If you get moved out due to foreclosure, see what you can receive to help you move.

Best of luck,
Liz

@uer31..... You write about Market place homes and use the words you/ your. Zillow is not Market Place homes. I'm sorry to hear of your difficulty. Please see an attorney.

Profile picture for CapitalCityMortgage
If you send send me lease I would be happy to look over. Is it a FMLS Georgia lease or a special lease? Normally if you have a lease  expiration than 30 days and you or the landlord have NOT extended terms is could go to a month to month automatically... called a tenant holdover. The rate can increase!... so look at that part.  Additionally, the new owner would have to give you at least 30 days notice to vacate unless the lease has specific no option to extend under any circumstances to extend. Its rare but could happen but I think would be in conflict with GA law. Also how did they give you notice? 

Profile picture for pvhomes
leases survive sales. No change in your lease term and price.

You Landlord cannot force you out.  You need to go over what your area local Laws are but in most states they would be breaking the law if they ddid before your lease expires.  Also since you are the tenant and your landlord is selling your landlord is suppose to give you first right of refusal  Please check with your local area on your TOPA Laws.

User310 - I truly appoligize for your situation. Our company made a mistake. We made a clerical error and had you sign a lease that in retrospect was 24 months longer then we had the ability to sign. We lost a ton of money on deal, no one is happy... It didn't work out for anyone. Our company has offered moving expenses, offered to refund the deposit, attempted to find other housing... The owner doesn't want you in the home, we are stuck in the middle. We made an error. I'm open to suggestions on how to help. Please let me know what I can offer that makes this better for you?