Profile picture for barbaraluciani

When selling for "cash only" should I expect offers to come in 20-25% lower than loan-backed offers?

My building is over 50% renter occupied. I plan on selling my unit soon and I understand I will only be able to take cash offers due to the renter occupancy rate. Should I expect the cash offers to come in 20-25% below loan-backed offers? Or does "cash only" not affect the amount of the offers any more than with a regular negotiation?

August 14 2012 - Chicago

I completely disagree. One of the most attractive things about buying right now is being able to get a great loan. When a building is under 50% owner occupied you must get a portfolio loan. These have ARM. You can have up to a 5% higher rate right now if you go the 5 or 7 year rate on your mortgage. The difference on a payment on a loan at 3.5% compared to 8% is very large. I would expect low offers or pray to get a cash buyer who is willing to make a bad buy. Cash only/portfolio buildings tend to see large drop offs in value.

Sorry, I should add that in your situation it usually does devalue the entire complex when it has to be sold cash only. You won't be 20-25% less than any other unit, but you can expect the prices to suffer across the board. 

No it makes no sense to me. Most buyers are able to fund their loans, why would a cash offer make a 20% difference? Is it because the cash offer will close a mere 2 weeks faster? I think I'd wait the 2 weeks every time. In my opinion cash offers are only significantly better when the home is in need of significant repair and may have trouble financing. 

People can get owner occupied loans for buildings with low owner occupancy %. There should be minimal difference between cash and financed offers. However, if you are over priced then all offers might be 20% off the list price.

Profile picture for JohnWilt
Make sure to list your place with an experienced Realtor so you get a professional looking out for your best interests.  They will tell you what to expect cash or conventional.  20-25% seems like a crazy discount.  Besides, there may be comps in your complex that have cash settlements at great prices.  I have seen cash deals this year for nearly list price!  Good Luck

The fact is no one can get a loan for a unit in your building. That is why you will be forced to accept a lower offer if you do find a cash buyer. The bigger issue may be the 15% delinquency rate forndo fees for the entire building that may be the reason you can only get cash offers.  I had a condo and we had a simular issue where the rentals were getting to be too large of a percentage of the units. What we did as the copndo association was to grandfather in all the present rentals. And then put a limit on any future rentals. Anyone buying into the building was not allowed to rent if the building exceeded 15% rental units they would need to get on a list. For any current homeowners we had a hardship committee that would review.

Buyers with cash often incorrectly assume they are Kings when they usually are not and they incorrectly assume a seller will sell for less knowing the buyer has cash. It is a misconception cash buyers have. You get buyers that make all sorts of crazy low offers, it is a sign of the times. I had a 30% low offer given to me the other day on a short sale. When you get the low offers just say NO.