Profile picture for Aly W.

When should I list my home?

I bought my home in Feb 2010 and received the government tax credit which requires me to stay there for 3 years if I don't want to pay back the credit.  I'm now married and my husband and I would like to move into a larger home.  When is the best time for me to list my home and how long is the typical sales cycle in St. Louis West County?
  • July 30 2012 - Creve Coeur

I suggest that you contact two or three listing agents and ask them to do a comparative market analysis of your property, and then figure out if you are in a position to sell.  As wetdawgs says, by the time you figure out the market value of the property, commission and selling costs, you may have to stay in the house for a while longer.  

You may wish to investigate more thoroughly the government tax credit.  The first thing to figure out if the sales price minus selling costs (e.g. agent commission) will be higher than your purchase price.   If not, then the answer may be that you can put it on the market immediately.