When showing homes do you ever encounter animal abuse or neglect?

Over the years I've shown thousands of properties and fortunately I haven't run into many instances of apparent animal abuse or neglect, but it has happened several times. If you've encountered houses with pets that aren't being treated properly what have you done?
  • March 04 2011 - US
  • 0

Chris,

Thank you for bringing up an important subject!!

Thankfully, in my professional career, I have not come into any situations that I would consider abuse or neglect. Now, there have been many fringe cases, and people who, in my OPINION aren't fit to take care of themselves, let alone an animal. Though in my personal life, I have had it come up several times.

The action is inevitably to call the local authority. Usually the police will transfer you right to the local animal shelter/abuse agency. I have never had anyone "come after me," or try to get revenge against me or my actions.

My advice is, if on a listing appointment and you discover potential abuse or neglect, don't take the listing. There is clearly something wrong with this person's thought process and it will probably be an indication of them asking you to do something dishonest later on. Report it to the local authorities a few hours or even a day or so after witnessing it (provided the animal will live that long; use your best judgment) to avoid potential repercussions. If you are showing or previewing a home with or for a buyer, do what you can to help the animal (if it has no water out etc,) and then leave immediately. Call the listing agent. Give them the benefit of the doubt that the owner spaced on something. The agent will certainly follow through with the owner as the property will show quite poorly with an abused or neglected animal inside....

Thanks for a Great Topic!
I'm interested in hearing others' war stories as well!