Profile picture for emily e davis1

When will you update the school assignments for Guilford County NC.?

Guilford county has redone their school zones. As home buyers and parents of two young children we look at the schools before looking at a house. We had been going by the information attached to your listings which is now inaccurate. I would hate for other home buyers to purchase a home in a poor school zone after basing their decision off of the inaccurate information on your website.
  • April 12 2014 - Greensboro
  • 0

Zillow gets their school information from greatschools.org    Have you taken a moment to let them know of this discrepancy?

In some areas, the borders of school areas change almost annually, therefore, if I were buying with schools in mind I'd phone the school for the absolute latest and draw a custom search boundary in Zillow.

Profile picture for emily e davis1
Sharon,
Actually, we are new to North Carolina just this year so we are not familiar with the rules and laws of the state as far as realty is concerned.  That being said, we have been on both ends of buying and selling homes, and of course it is always on the buyer to double check and make sure they are getting what they signed up for when purchasing a property (residential or otherwise). 

And, as you suggested, we used the school assignment locator which is how we came to find several inconsistencies between what Zillow provided for schools and how the schools are actually zoned. 

As I am sure you are aware, this comment was posted to let Zillow know that there are several homes listed for sale in Guilford county that have inaccurate information regarding schools because the district recently "re-zoned" their schools.  As we are at the early stage of looking for a home, an easy way for us to narrow our search is by looking within our desired elementary schools.  This comment was also to see if and when this zoning information would be updated.  I am not a real estate agent, therefore I was unaware that agents are responsible for uploading the necessary information to Zillow.  I simply thought Zillow uploaded information from various sites to provide a database of active homes on the market.   In the future, I will certainly flag a property- I did not know that this is how you let Zillow know that the school district is incorrect. 

I appreciate your feedback. 

Why don't you simply go to the school website and input the address. 
Additionally a local realtor can identify schools you are interested in.

This is, as you know, a 'buyer beware' state, the onus is on the buyer to double check facts, that is why there is a due diligence clause in the contract.   
I truly would hope that a buyer would double checks facts before purchasing a home, ultimately it is up to you. Humans, make mistakes.If you see a home that has the wrong school district, flag it for Zillow, they are fabulous about fixing things
Hope this has been some help to you.