Profile picture for ssparay

Where can I find acoustic wall insulation?

I have a room in my house that I would like to convert to a recording studio.  I'm planning on adding a wall within the room, to have more isolation from the outside of the house.  Has anyone used special acoustic insulation, that blocks sound better than the typical fiberglass insulation?  I've heard from others in the industry that such a product exists, but I don't know anyone local or national that offers it.  

Adam works with [hotlink deleted by Zillow moderator] and enjoys writing about home improvement and technology advances.
  • August 20 2012 - Oklahoma City

Best Answer

Profile picture for nwhome.us
Insulation is just a start in acoustical dampening, but if you are talking about batts between studs, you can use rock wool. It is a natural mineral fiber and should be available at any home improvement store.

The next step is to isolate the hard surfaces in each room from each other.  When you screw drywall to each side studs of the wall you have done nothing to isolate the two rooms from each other.  Frequently sounds walls are at least double walls with the framing members not touching each other.

USG has a number of assemblies that begin on page 14 of this pdf file.

We soundproofed a room in our home, during a remodel. We went to our local builders company ( not the box) and bought sound board. It hangs easily screws into wall and you can sheetrock over it if you choose.. No one is the wiser. It worked great.

Try googling it.  I found a website owenscorning.org