Profile picture for maxima24_98

Where can I find grants that will help me purchase my first home?

• April 04 2011 - Memphis
  • 0

Best Answer

There is a grant out there called a THDA grant which I recently assisted a client with. With the sellers paying for closing costs and the grant in place, my clients only had to bring a check for $16 to closing. Pretty amazing.

If I can assist you, please feel free to give me a call. Happy to help.

Chris Mannino
615-299-7995

Many cities have down payment assistance grants, because it is strongly felt that homeownership stableizes a community. These grants are set aside to promote homeownership for people who may otherwise not be able to get into a place. It is well understood that pride of ownership is better for a community than an attitude of "it's not my property, so who cares!"  SO....Maxim24_98, don't worry about the naysayers on here, and find a lender who is familiar with these programs, as well as a real estate agent who understands them. I have gotten MANY people into homes, when they never thought they would be able to. It beats them sitting empty :-)

Good luck to you!

Profile picture for jal74
ahh yes, another foreclosure statistic in the making.

The us taxpayers, myself included, would prefer you keep renting until you can save up a significant down-payment such that we do not have to bail out you or the government agency that will end up guaranteeing your loan.

Regards

Grants and Franklins are what you need alright. Those $50's and $100's are going to be needed in massive quantities.

This shows you how to look at your budget and save for a down payment. It is possible, but no one says it is easy and polite. It is about making choices.
"How do I get a down payment to buy a house? The ideas below worked well for me. They could help you also."

"Its your first home and you are looking for something but are not sure where to start to look or about loans."

"Do low interest rates really make it a good time to buy a house?"

"What should I watch out for when choosing a home to buy so that I don't jump into a money pit?"

Do not forget, once you buy a house any problems it has are yours. If the furnace dies, the roof leaks, the plumbing breaks or many other problems arise you have to be able to afford them. If you can not afford to handle some repairs you can not afford to buy a house.