Where can I find info about remodeling and what can be counted towards the sale price of your home?

Recently I found out from a real estate agent that there was a new law passed in 2010 for New Mexcio residents in reference to remodeling and what the real estate agent can and cannot apply towards the listing price when preparing to sell.  Before I do any further remodeling I want to ensure it can be counted in the future listing amount determined by the real estate agent.  I was told that an agency exists that "blesses" whatever remodeling project.  What is the agencey and where can I find more infor?  This law supposedly was put into place to prevent shoddy remodeling efforts that do not meet current code.   

January 01 2013 - US

Thank you so much!  Well, New Mexico has surely been an eye-opener for me - they do everything differently here.  I will keep digging and post what my research uncovers.

I would start with your local government zoning office.Then call a local Realtor,you can find one by pulling down the professionals tab here on Zillow. It sounds a bit strange, normally we take into account upgraded bathrooms, new roofs, water heaters, wood floors, granite etc.