Profile picture for sbellastoria

Where can I get a rent to own home?

I would like to own a home, but can't qualify for a home loan.  I unfortunately, screwed up my credit a while ago, but I still want a home that I can call my own.  I pay my rent on time and need space for myself, children and dog. 
  • February 07 - US

Very few owners are willing to consider "rent to own".   You've identified your goal and it sounds like what is standing between you and your goal is your credit history.    What action plan have you put in place to improve your credit scores?

Some of the realities of "rent to own".

1.  You will need a substantial down payment of 5 to 30% - this is not refundable.

2.  The monthly rent is higher than fair market rent, only the difference goes to purchase. 

3.  If you fail to qualify for a mortgage at the agreed price and date, then you have to move out and lose all the money. 

4 Your choices of properties is slim to none.

Are you willing to take the risk?  Very few "rent to own" properties end up being owned by the new person.   Most fall apart and the current owner gets all the money.  
  • February 07

Profile picture for RizaB
  • RizaBZillow
Hi sbellastoria -

Please be advised that Zillow that as of the moment Zillow does not have yet the option to list "rent to own" homes.However, there are some rentals that are available for sale. You can click this link for you to have a guide in searching for home in your preferred area.

For more information about our website you can visit Zillow Help Center.

Riza B.
  • February 07