Profile picture for flretzlaff

Where can I get free software to make my own home flyers ?

I am doing a FSBO, I need to make my own flyers to advertise.
  • January 30 2013 - US
  • 0

Hey, we are actually designing a awesome easy to use online platform [Hotlink removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for information.]

Profile picture for monsterbash
Selling a FSBO house is not tricky in the least and certainly doesn't cost you more money.  The wife and I have sold 3 houses our self since 2008 (post date 5.2013)..and now selling our forth.

We've also helped 3 other friends\family members sell their houses since we are familiar with the process

I'm actually disgusted by the little work a listing agent does..and the amount of cash they get.  We've saved over $50,000 on the 3 house we sold..and close to $25,000 on our current listing

Good luck with your decision. I wish you well.

Profile picture for Blue in d Nile
ANYONE can do a FSBO if they are willing to put in a little time and effort and prepare ahead of time.  Those Realtors® that state it is "too difficult" are really only stating that it is "too difficult" for the Realtor®, thus they are not really qualified to do their job.  Put any agent that tells you that on the "do not call" list..

According to the 2008 HUD study of FHA financed homes, 19% of homes sold in the US that are not in the JUMBO loan range are sold FSBO.  Actually, quite a bit higher if you include those that the FSBO paid a buyer's broker & agent fee, and include the FSBO that paid a flat fee to a listing broker for an MLS listing.  (27% to 30%; the HUD1 form does not allow it to be broken out much further).

In comparison, 32% paid combined listing broker/agent & buyer's broker/agent fees of approximately 5.5%.  And only about 19% paid Realtor fees of about 6% or higher.  This leaves about 19% to 22% that paid Realtor fees in about the 3.5% to 5% range.

The HUD study states that "Realty fees are well characterized as $970 plus 4.5% of house value".

The NAR propaganda on FSBO is just that... PROPAGANDA!  If what NAR claims was even close to being "right", than approximately 100% of homes sold in the US each year attempt a FSBO FIRST!  NAR does not even have the data!  Most FSBO's are not in the Multiples.  And those that are, NAR does not consider FSBO!  HUD does have the data, because it is required to put it on the HUD1 form.

Hey user2697478,

I would look at that link the Pasadenan included in the post. Selling as a FSBO is tricky and could cost you more in the long run. I would recommend working with an agent. We have more experience and knowledge on selling a home. I would highly consider preventing the hassle of trying to sell the home yourself. If you are in the LA area I would be glad to discuss your home and options. If you are not in the LA area let me know and I could help you get paired up with a qualified agent. It would be my pleasure. My number is 818-451-9655. Feel free to call with any questions.

Profile picture for Blue in d Nile
I will state it again... Open Office Writer reads MicroSoft Word documents... you don't need to spend money on the program...
Save that money and spend it on good printing and quality paper, and quality flyers.

Also, don't over-print your first run!  Invariably you will want to make some changes after you receive initial feedback!

And since you are doing a FSBO, do yourself a favor, and completely read and study the blog...
Thinking About Selling as a FSBO?

(Written by someone who was successful doing it, who got a lot of helpful feedback for how to communicated good FSBO practices with others).

I am not a technology expert but I was able to make some wonderful flyers with HP Real Estate Assistant.  I used their old version, but the updated one is $99.95.  I know this is not freeware, but this software creates good flyers and very easy to use as well. 

http://www.realestatemarketassistant.com/

This is not much to spend on generating a high quality flyer that will help you to promote your property.  You need to present your home in the best possible way and a good flyer goes a long way.  This is especially true since buyers know your already trying to save monies by not hiring a real estate agent.

Good Luck,

Erika Shinzato

Profile picture for Blue in d Nile
I was curious about the xerox templates, so I had a look:
office.xerox.com/small-business-templates/real-estate-flyers/enus.html

"> Small Business home > Templates
Real Estate Flyers

If you're interested in selling homes, whether in your business or simply selling your home independently, get a head start with this collection of completely customizable, easy-to-use real estate flyer templates. For large scale production of flyers for your business we recommend our line of production printers.
Download Instructions

1. Simply select the template(s) below and choose Save Link As (or Save Target As) to download them.
   2. Customize, print, and enjoy!

Note: These files require Microsoft Word, which must be installed
separately.
"

So there you have it... a Word Processor is still the "correct choice", not a "publishing program".

And by the way, I wouldn't waste all that ink to print a background color, which only makes it harder to read the text.

So why are Xerox's "templates" FREE?  because they are SELLING PRINTERS!  And you are not going to be buying one of their expensive printers, so you either need to print it on what you have, or have it printed at a copy store.  Most copy stores can print for you at a lower price than you pay for ink.  And if you make a good master, you can often have bulk copying done at a lower price.

Profile picture for Blue in d Nile
Microsoft PowerPoint and Microsoft Publisher are NOT FREE!  They are quite expensive.  And both of them are very cumbersome, and write proprietary formats that are not always transportable to other formats.

PowerPoint is designed for display presentations, and thus limits your resolution substantially.  It also does not have any easy way to do bulk changes, and if something gets misaligned, it is a hassle to fix it.

Publisher has a substantial learning curve if you want to take advantage of most of its features.  And it is really more designed for creating web pages rather than flyers.

A simple Word Processor will do a lot more a lot easier for most people.
They have all the ability to select the fonts you want and put the text where you want, and they have all the ability to place any images anywhere you want and any size you want, with any kind of borders you want, or no borders if you prefer.  And the spell check is fairly straight forward too.  They will do outline mode and bullet points for you as well.

The full MicroSoft Office package typically costs around $900.  Yes, I know some Realtors® just steal it, so the cost is no big deal to them.  Not to mention, any software they buy is a business expense deducted on their schedule C tax forms.  Open Office does EVERYTHING that Microsoft Office does, for a lot less money!

Yes if you get the Office package, you can choose to use a Word Processor, or a Presentations program (like Power Point), or the Publications program (for web creations), or a Spread sheet program (like Excel) for tables, charts, graphs and calculations...  but it makes the most sense to use the correct program for the correct application.

Yes, in a typical "free" word processing program, you can have a very professional looking flyer in less than 3 minutes WITHOUT any templates.  And if you make one you like, you just edit it for the next time, swapping out the description, the address, the bullet points, and the photos.

Yes, there are Student and Home versions of MicroSoft Office if you want to pay about $100 instead.

Some people just do a page print from the Zillow Home Details page, but that doesn't allow you to customize it the way you want.

Some people don't bother printing it out themselves, but make a PDF file and take it to a copy store for getting the flyers printed at a reasonable price.  The copy stores can also do lamination for you if you desire, or can print on various other paper and card stocks that may allow your flyer to stand out among the crowd.

Profile picture for flretzlaff
Thank you for all your help !

Xerox also has free templates. http://www.office.xerox.com/small-business-templates/enus.html
And I use Microsoft Publisher all the time too.

I always use Microsoft PowerPoint. I know it sounds simple and does not seem to offer much but you have full control of what happens on that program. Just Google for images to include in your flyer and Google for some nice flyer techniques and you can actually come with out with some really professional looking flyers. People always ask where I get mine done.

Profile picture for LisaGarmonhomes
Microsoft Publisher works great for flyers.

Profile picture for Blue in d Nile
Most word processing programs work just fine.  You probably got one free with your computer with your last computer purchase.

If not, there is always Sun's knock off of Microsoft Word... Open Office Writer.

Go to Openoffice.org for more information.  I see many large corporations using Open Office now in lieu of Microsoft products.