Profile picture for Holland88

Where can I get the sufficient amount of data to appeal for my property taxes?

I've been able to find couple of houses that were sold in my area for the year 2008, but I also know that there are houses being rented out at this time.  Where can I get that information to provide during my hearing?  Are there any other datas that ought to be  presented during my hearing/appeal?  First time appealing and would love to get more information.

August 31 2009 - Plant City

local realtor or assessors office they usually want to see pure sales from the beginning of the year usually before april 1 of the year. Not distressed sales (foreclosures,short sales,etc.)

Our court house requires an appraisal within the last year! 

while worthwhile, this is going to be time consuming.  You will have to weed out all Distressed sales (Short Sales, Foreclosures, Bank owned properties, etc..)

Pasco county was a bit of a problem with its assessed values but this year, they properly plummeted.

another issue for you to consider is, are you in 'Save Our Homes' which limits how much your house will go up, AND down?

I succcesfully appealed my own home tax assesment about four years ago deriving all of the information from county tax records.  The county I live in, Fairfax, VA. has the tax records available on the internet.  If your county has this too, the job is fairly easy.  Just find the most comparable homes to yours in the same neighborhood (if possible).  If the sold price is lower your assesment you have a good arguement.  If your county doesn't have these records available on the internet, another way is to go to the county courthouse and do a manual search, not as easy, but do-able.  I hope this helps.  Good Luck!