Profile picture for monicaluvzmarcell

Where do I find comparables without hiring an agent? I want to know if it's worth selling my home.

I have been thinking of selling my home. However I would like to know if it is worth selling my home or just staying in it. To do so I would like to find the comps and see how much the homes in my neighborhood are selling for.
  • September 08 2009 - Clovis
  • 0

Best Answer

Mr. Sufak is completely right. Most local Realtors would be happy to give you a CMA for free if you are considering selling your house. If you are planning on selling, you do need to get more than one CMA since you want the average price of 2-3 and not just the highest one offered. Unfortunately, some questionable agents will give you a high CMA to attempt to "buy" the listing by promising more in a slaes price than the market can deliver. This hurts you as a seller if you go to market overpriced so interview several realtors, look for an honest agent and trust your gut about the value information given. Realtors are an excellent resource for information about comps and sales trends in your market.

One option is to hire a local appraiser to come out and give you an appraisal of the home, however, there is a cost to do this.

I'm sure that there are plenty of local Realtors in your area that would be happy to answer your questions and provide a comparable market analysis on your home with no obligations or cost.

Especially in today's changing market it is more important than ever to get advice from those that know the most.  An active Realtor who specializes in your local area would be an excellent resource to ask. You may be happily surprised at the level of help and professionalism you will find and more often than not the information you are looking for is free and doesn't require hiring anyone for their services.

Zillow has a video about finding comps here that might help. They tell you what to look for and how to match the best comps to your house. You need to look at the recently sold house list to see what the houses like yours sold for in the last 3-6 months and not at the Zestimate values. The sold prices on similar properties are what are most important when you look for comps. Hope the link helps.