Profile picture for pnolen

Where does Zillow get their estimates and Tax info?

I live ina  fairly new brick home on a corner lot is West University Place in Houston. Zillow shows the homes here have gone up 0.6% over the last 12 months on average, but somehow thinks mine has gone down about 16% during that same timeframe. How does Zillow come up with that analysis which makes no sense. Also, where does Zillow get their Tax Values. My home shows about $3,200 in taxes, which would be nice, but all my taxes for Harris County, HISD schools, West U taxes, etc was approximately $9,966. If numbers are goig to be put on this site, I wouold think they need to be more accurate.

December 24 2008 - West University

First of all, I have to say that you live in one of my favorite Houston neighborhoods :) In following RE there I have found that Zillow's information for Houston is not very accurate over all. Even according to them, they only give themselves 2 stars out of 4 in accuracy for that area. http://www.zillow.com/howto/DataCoverageZestimateAccuracy.htm I think this is largely because the MLS service in Houston the HAR does not release full information to Zillow and neither does Harris County. That makes it hard for Zillow to collect the information that they need to provide reliable "value" numbers for homes there. If your taxes are incorrect, Zillow may be able to fix that piece of data on an update, but since lower taxes showing up here will only benefit you if you go to sell in the future I'm not sure I would change them. Houston is a great city and you live in a great neighborhood. I would trust your impression of the market in your neighborhood over Zillow's and following the Zindex numbers that are more accurate overall instead of your house value %. West University will always be a desirable and sought out neighborhood in comparison to others even if Zillow doesn't have the numbers that they need to prove that available.