Where in Charlotte is the best place to live for a couple in their mid 20's?

I am 25 years old and my fiancé is 29. I am from NYC and he's from South Carolina. He is currently in the Navy and will be out in Feb. 2014. We are different in the sense that I am a big city girl and he's a big country boy. We are looking to move to Charlotte, NC and I admit, I'm a little scared but willing to take the risk. He easily adapts to any type of environment so he is willing to move to where I would feel most comfortable, which he thinks Charlotte would be a great location for the both of us. We are both fun and young at heart and I would love a place where restaurants, bars, shopping malls, etc. are near by. Which part of Charlotte would you suggest for a couple like us to move to?
  • November 30 2013 - Charlotte
  • 0

Profile picture for Lawrie Lawrence
Although Sunnyview has a point on some place in the south.  Charlotte itself is so full of "transplants", due to the industries centering in Charlotte I think you'll find it hard to find an actual "Charlotte native".

Although I'm just northwest of the city, I've never regretted my move to Charlotte.

Best of luck.

Moving to NC from NYC will be a bog adjustment for you. Charlotte's version of fun and young at heart in not the same as NYC. If you like bigger, moving small can make you feel small once the charm wears thin.

The South moves to it's own beat. If you are not a native and are a Yankee or are from another part of the country you may find it initially welcoming, but stifling over time. I know a handful of people who move to Southern cities for the lifestyle, jobs or cost of living who moved 1-3 years later because it just didn't feel like home. Other people love it, but I'd hedge your bets financially.

My advice is don't buy at all before you rent for at least a year and if you buy before that make sure to choose a house that can carry it's own expenses (mortgage, taxes, insurance) as a rental. Charlotte may be great for you, but don't jump in with both feet. You might also consider looking at a place like Austin TX that has a higher number of transplants, many clubs/music venues and a high number of young residents as an alternative small city or a place in CT that is commutable to NYC within about 2 hours so you can live more rural, but have access to the place you know.

Hi.. I saw your post and felt perplexed by the response's ... First our duty to a customer or perspective client is to send a list of properties, meeting what your needs are for a home.. such as size , location you choose, price range etc.. An Agent can help your home search by letting you know these specifics.. As far as what area is best ..  an agent is not allowed to do this as it is called "Steerage" ,but there are websites on the internet for most cities, as well as websites with crime rate statistics .If I may suggest, check those and once you have selected an area , if you can visit ( that area of your choice) you should . I would also recommend (at least during different times of the day) to revisit the ones you have selected, to get a real feel for the area to see if it is a good fit for you.Good Luck !

Hi there,

Do you want a single family home, a townhouse, condo or are you looking to rent? Also do you have a price range to purchase and/or rent?  There are several areas that I think would appeal to both of you in Charlotte, NC.  If you are looking for restaurants, bars, shopping malls, etc. nearby then I would suggest
close to Uptown, which is area 99 or Southend. I  would also recommend neighborhoods in Dilworth, Plaza Midwood, Noda (short for North Davidson)  & the Arts District, which are hip neighborhoods, The hip neighborhoods do cost more to rent or purchase.  These are just a few that I can recommend.

Do you or your husband already have a job in Charlotte and If so what location? When Charlotte is a 'melting pot' of different cultures from NY, NJ, PA and Ohio, etc. Also we have a fair share of residents who have come from  European countries.  Actually I am in the minority having a Southern accent...truly - LOL.

I'd be happy to help you whether you are renting or buying.  I am a new agent, so I have plenty of time to dedicate to you in your relocation.  Also I have lived in Charlotte for a very long time and know the area well.  I hope to hear from you and help you find your new Charlotte home. Sincerely, Daniel Britton

Hi!

I think you guys would be extremely comfortable in several areas around Uptown. Email or call me directly and I can help guide you with your relocation.  I'm very familiar with your situation and work with buyers in these areas every day!

It wouldn't cost you to use me as a buyer agent either!

John Siddons

Profile picture for DFisherBroker
Good evening.
What you are describing is what I would call the "urban fringe". The Charlotte region is quite large and there are many towns and cities here that might suitable.  Where I would suggest would depend on the monthly budget you want to stay within, the location where you will be working and your expectations for how long you would be in that home. There are several major shopping malls and mid-sized shopping centers throughout our area, as well as restaurants, bars and nightlife, with more nightlife in Uptown, NoDa, University, South end, South Park, independence and the Ballantyne areas. If I were you, I would look for a country setting that is within 25 minutes from work and about 15-20 minutes from nightlife.  This could be Belmont, Mt Holly, Huntersville, Davidson, Concord, Harrisburg, Midland, Matthews, Mint Hill, Indian Trail, Wesley Chapel, Weddington, Waxhaw and parts of Charlotte in NC and Indian Land and Ft Mill in SC.

Profile picture for Rebecca Marvel
http://www.crimemapping.com/