Profile picture for rjatou

Where is the best area for investment in Florida for a vacation home

I have a 2 year old and would like to use it to take my son to Disneyworld but also to the beach.  Any advice on where is the best area to look for a property that would also serve as a good investment would be appreciated.

July 04 2012 - US

Broker Dave, I am delighted to know that things have changed, there are still lots of short term rentals and even more hotel rooms available, the investor has to fight for those people and that proves to be costly.  Our home was located in Lindfields, which is no more than 10 minutes from Disneyworld, as you know, not in booney-land, it was professionally decorated and had the WOW factor.  All things being equal, the dream of owning a vacation home is more realistic for affluent folks who do not care if the property rents or not, and are willing to pay the management fees and repairs.

I need to differ with you Ofe, investing in a short term vacation rental home works today if you include in you equation the properties location, must be within 30 minutes drive time tops from Disney (not as the crow flies). The return on investment numbers now works due to the current lower prices, and sales in this segment of the market is extremely hot.

Just my 2 cents and hope it helps,

Broker Dave

Disneyworld, is in the middle of the state and not close to the beaches, depending how close you want to be to the main Orlando attractions.  You can invest in Kissimmee which is actually where Disneyworld is located or go to Clearwater-Tampa area and enjoy the beaches. The advice I can give you is based on experience, since I owed a property in Kissimmee for a while, and did short term rental on the property through a management company.  Given my experience I would not do it again, since that market is very frail.  I sold it after 4 years and did not make any money but did not lose any either (I was very lucky)  would I do it again, NOO!  If I wanted to visit that area I would rent a condo or a home and avoid all the headaches associated with short term rental and millions of properties and hotels fighting for the same population. 

Profile picture for nacho59
consider this

http://www.charlotteharbortravel.com/

There are still some good deals on single family houses and bottom
inventory is reducing pretty fast.
Its probably 2 to 21/2 hrs to disney. Beach is a 1/2 drive