Profile picture for tellamber

Where is the worst area of Livermore, CA?

We are in San Jose now, but considering relocating to Livermore. For what we're approved for, we could get a tiny condo in a nice area of San Jose, but for the same amount we could get an actual house in Livermore. Is there a sketchy part of the city? I do have a child starting kindergarten so schools are important.  
  • April 05 2010 - Livermore
  • 0

I would try asking that question here on city-data to get replies from local people. They are usually happy to share information and will recommend schools, local zip codes to focus on etc. I have never seen a really bad part of Livermore myself. Some neighborhoods seem fanicer than others, but I don't ever remember seeing a neighborhood that gave me the grab your cell phone to dial 911 icks, but I have been out the area for quite a while.

You can look at city-data to target specific zip codes or this site here neighborhood scout that combines school info, crime and demographics and shows them on a map. Zillow is great for research, but I find it helpful to narrow down areas by elementary school or zip code area first before searching on Zillow. Be sure the check out the local newspaper here to get a handle on local goings on and you also might consider posting your question on the local forum for Livermore here. Everyone has an opinion, but usually people online are honest and do want to help you find a good neighborhood for your family. Hope it helps.

Call the local police station, get a crime report. Call the local school
board and get school ratings.
You will be able to figure it out.

No real estate agent is going to tell you what is good or bad part of town, it is illegal for an agent to do so. Best advise is go to the local police dept's website and do a search, it will give you crime stats. Also since school is very important and sounds like you are a great parent, find the local school district website and that should also give you a list of how the school's are rated and more valuable info all this combined info should help you make a decision on your own. It's a 100 times better you doing the research then someone else telling who might have there own agenda :) Hope this helpful!