Where should I advertise to get more activity?

Our house has been on the market for 21 days now. First week we had 5 people coming to see it but last 2 weeks, none. Zillow shows 700 hits but for some reason people are not contacting us. We even had an open house last Saturday. I'm trying to post on Craigslist every day -- but as you can see, not working as expected. Any ideas in how to develop a better marketing strategy to sell our house? Thank you!

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5445-N-Cortona-Way-Meridian-ID-83646/79667218_zpid/
  • August 30 2013 - Meridian

Profile picture for JudyRohlf
ya call a agent

Profile picture for Jarrid Echard

welcome to the wonderful world of real estate... this is the dilemma most face when selling there home... a lot of ppl looking.. but either driving by or on the web, but no one calling to view... I call this window shopping. think about it what would make you buy that item you see everyday but wont go into the store to ask about? What does your agent think?

Profile picture for Dustin Baggs
If the market is strong and your not getting showings or offers after 3 weeks your priced high, or need to fix some items, maybe you can find a Realtor to help you, and you can use them when you buy

Your price might be the problem. Check with your agent.

Profile picture for Michael Mei

Are you selling your home "For Sale by Owner"?  If so...you should consider creating a website for your home.  You can also go to the local Broker Tours meeting to tell agents that your home is for sale.  If it is not listed int he MLS...then you are potentially missing lots of eyeballs.

Judy: Thank you. I have a great agent I'm working with now. I was just curios to see if I could get any new ideas from this forum.

Jarrid: Great thoughts! Thank you for sharing with me.

Dustin: I think you are right. We have changed the price again this week. Thank you.

Alma: We just changed our price again. Thank you.

Michael: This is a sale by broker. I'm just trying to help our agent to get more exposure on the Internet. I created a facebook page and tried Facebook Ads -- but didn't get great feedback so far. We have it listed on MLS --- any other ideas?

Thank you guys!

Alex

Hi Alex,

Being on the area MLS is important and potentially puts your home on a lot of other websites.  
Talk to your agent about the market cycles in your area and what the average time on market for home sales in your community. Communicate with your agent if you have a question about how things are going. Communication is extremely important in having a good experience and getting your house sold. Your agent is there for you and wants your house to sell as much as you do.
Look at your house the way a new buyer would, as critically as possible.

Good fortune to you, your family and your agent.

Good question. It seems your home is attracting some people but, without a professional to screen and bring you pre qualified buyers you are opening yourself up for disappointment and you are letting strangers into your home without pre screening. I would strongly recommend you contact a local Realtor who can help you with advertising and marketing your home. When you do receive and offer they will help you navigate the purchase process. Including home inspections,title and closings.
Good luck I hope you have a great home selling experience. 

There are so many variables here that it is hard to say. Your pictures on the internet may not be showing your home to it's best advantage, or there may not be enough pictures. The price could be too high. Your signage on the house or in the neighborhood may be lacking.

A good realtor in your area will know the best advertising strategy for your area, and could counsel you the factors noted above. The best way to get more showings is to advertise your home to the thousands of realtors who are talking to clients every day. You can do this by listing your home for sale by a real estate firm.

Quick update: after we dropped the price a little more that helped us a lot -- we had several people coming this week which 3 out of those are really interested (only yesterday we had 2 showings) --- hoping to receive an offer soon! Thanks everyone!

Joe: I love this statement: "Look at your house the way a new buyer would, as critically as possible." I think you are right ---

Vera: I agree with you but I'm ok in opening the house to even not qualified folks. I believe in networking and people who will tell other people who will tell other people -- lol (I hope that makes sense) Thank you for the tips!

Teri: Thank you. I just replaced the pictures on Zillow with some new professional ones. Please let me know what do you think. The price is lower then the market right now -- market: $100/sf -- ours: $95. Hoping to see more people coming!

Your price is probably too high.  If you post your home ad on Craig's List too often, Craig's List will "ghost" you--you will see the ad, but no one else will.  You need to list with a Realtor. 

A good realtor will list the house at a fair market value that should keep you from reducing the purchase price of the property. Set it too high, and the tire kickers come out. Start lowering it afterwards, and you end up with the "bottom feeders" looking at the house as a cheap investment. A good/excellent realtor will have done their homework,to both set the selling price, as well,as bring pre-qualified buyers into the home. Statistically, houses sold by Realtors and up,bringing a higher amount than those sold by owners. Go shopping. Find a Realtor who knows,your area, has a provable marketing program, and who will tell you what the realities,are concerning your current asking price.

Update: Thank you everyone for taking some time to reply. You have no idea how comforting is to hear your thoughts!!

We sold the house yesterday!! All the sudden we received 3 offers and we accepted one really good one --- so thank you everyone!!

Alex

One realtor I spoke with said she is very active on real estate Pinterest boards. I didn't try that myself and we ended up not listing with her, but that's a possibility.

I agree that you should create a website and be sure to put the url on your For Sale sign. Don't bother including "www" -- at least for us, that made the sign too long, so we used the domain name only.

Have you thought of posting flyers wherever you can around your general area? Lots of smaller businesses have community bulletin boards. Also consider dropping off your flyers at real estate offices.

"We sold the house yesterday!!"

That is AWESOME news Alex! Congratulations on your sale and thanks for coming back to let everyone know the good news :)

Odds are your broker has the home placed where it needs to be for your market. Pricing aside (dont get me wrong its crucia: But my question would be; "how is it presented". Was your home staged? did your agent provide professional photography? with 92% of home buyers looking online, if your home doesn't "pop" you will lose their interest.  Buyers today can gather so much information and view home a great deal before even stepping inside of it. Make sure it looks its best! 

good luck!