Where shouldI buy a retirement home in CA

I am thinking about my retirement house in CA. I do not know where will be a good place for retirement home and how much money is required to get a reasonable good home? Thanks.

October 13 2013 - San Jose

In order to identify the best retirement location for you, I would need to know your needs and wants before I can recommend the right community for your retirement years. Today, there are many options available to retirees base on the lifestyle you want. I would be happy to help you further.

I have to be honest... When I found out a few years my parents were retiring to California I thought they were crazy! Leaving the relatively affordable South for California's high taxes and budget deficit seemed like a terrible idea, but my parents would have done everything to be near their children.

I think money is important in retirement, but so is being near people who can be a support system for you. My parents live in Leisure World, a 55+ "city within a city" in Seal Beach. They love it, there is always something to do and someone to chat with. 

Let me know if you need any help with retirement homes in Southern California and hope you find a wonderful place to retire soon!

California is a fascinatingly diverse state.    Are you thinking of a dynamic, diverse huge city or do you wish to be in a quiet, peaceful tiny community with everyone in town within a two minute walk?    Do you like rain forest or desert?     Do you need a Whole Foods within a two minute walk, or do you prefer to drive 20 miles to a regular grocery store?  

Good for me might be horrible for you, so think about some of your requirements. 

It really comes down to your budget, and the type of community you want to be in.  California is a big state so you need to focus on which cities or area to consider.

There are senior apartments, continuing care retirement community, independent living, assisted living, and residential care.  At least in the bay area, there are 13 counties for you to choose from.

You can visit AlternativesforSeniors.com.  In California, they cover Los Angeles & Ventura Counties, Orange County, San Diego, and San Francisco area.

What is your target price range?  What would you like to be close to?

The central valley is a great value right now and is coming back. Lots to choose from. I grew up in Modesto, a valley boy.

I've always like Paso Robles, if you are willing to go south. However, a long way from an airport.

If you want to save on taxes then the greater Reno area is something to consider (no state income tax in Nevada).  Of course, Las Vegas has a ton of homes that are a great deal.