Profile picture for gouldp936

Where to buy a house if moving to DC area?

Working at the Pentagon. Moving from Ohio where we have a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath house worth $190,000. Looking to buy. Do not want to spend more than $400k. Any suggestions?
  • April 10 2014 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for gouldp936
Thank you Leo, Wetdawgs, and Judy. We know the Alexandria and Pentagon areas and how bad the commutes can be when you move away from the DC area. I have heard Woodbridge is an affordable area. We will definitely visit there.

Profile picture for John Steeby
How exciting for you! Congratulations.

I"m not sure about licensing law in the District, but I know here in Illinois we have Buyer Brokerage, where the agent working with the buyer represents the buyer's interest and, more often than not, is paid out of the Seller's proceeds at closing.

If available, I suggest you interview DC area agents. Get one who is knowledgeable, has connections, and understands what you are looking for.

Best of luck on the move.

Have you considered renting for a while to learn about the area, the commutes, the amenities of life that are important to you?     Getting to know the area before buying can help considerably with comfort related to the actual purchase.    Yes, I know moving twice is tough.  

Profile picture for judypetrak
Woodbridge is a great area to look in, you can stay within your budget for a home and there are lots of options for commuting. We have buses, trains and HOV lanes to help make it an easy commute. My husband works in downtown DC and is in his office in 45 minutes.

In my previous posting, Zillow removed the reference to my website, but you can go to my profile to find it. For some reason, websites and personal contact information are acceptable in profiles, but no-nos in postings.

Profile picture for gouldp936
Thanks Terry. Yeah, we figured we would have to move far out of the area to buy a home.

Two close-in areas to the Pentagon are Arlington County and Alexandria, but your options are limited if you want to buy a similar property to yours in Ohio at $400K or under. If you're willing to go out farther, then Fairfax County has lots of options. I am a co-owner of my real estate brokerage and we have a great website where you can do live searches inside the MLS: [Content removed by Zillow Moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy] Please email me or give me a call for information about the different areas to live in.