Which Commercial RE Firms To Begin A Career With?

Specifically, are there certain firms/brokerages that offer a better starting point for those new to the industry as far as training/mentoring, resources, commission/compensation structure? Location, within the US, is irrelevant. More importantly, are there any firms to avoid, initially, as a new agent? 
  • November 16 2012 - US
  • 0

You should think very carefully about what kind of business plan and what kind of business you wish to run. There are many ways to make a living as a real estate agent...businesses that focus on expired listings, for sale by owners, bank owned properties, short sales, high end properties,transfer referrals, and/or simply the properties of your friends/family/acquaintances. Some companies are a better fit for different types of business. 

I am a relatively new agent, and I asked for interviews at multiple agencies in my area. You will find that what each one is willing to offer you by the way of education, mentor-ship, and commission splits can vary widely. If you find a company that is offering the best of some items but a lessor split, don't be afraid to ask for something better....get to using those  negotiation skills.

Remember that biggest isn't always best for a new agent. I've been very happy with my choice. Feel free to contact me via my profile if I can help with any additional questions.

I think the most important thing to consider is to find a place where you feel like you can learn. Find someone who will mentor you and and help groom you into an incredible agent.

Let me know if you have other questions!

Look around your area, interview a few offices, and don't only consider the big one as the best, you also need to think about the one you will find human ingredient that you feel better with. You will need a mentor. It is also recommended for new agents to belong to a group to learn from top agents.Avoid big cold offces, the ones who offer 100% comm most of the time will not give you support that you need.

Profile picture for Honesty Sells
I would start with the biggest in the industry -

CBRE