Profile picture for Jmarkus79

Which Roof color should I go with?

I am about to put a new roof on my house and needed help choosing a color.  Currently my house is a light tan with a brown roof    I am thinking of going to a dark grey color because I felt it would update the overall look of the house.  Are the darker color roofs on lighter siding more popular today? I just feel the tan/brown look really dated the house. I am going to be using Certainteed - Landmark Architectural shingles for the roof and I am located in the VA area so we can have some harsh winters and hot/humid summers. Oh and the shutters are actually a dark green now but those are easily changed.. Thanks all!
  • May 26 2012 - Woodbridge
  • 0

I would go with a light colored metal roof. It is very long lasting and the light color reflects heat. That can cut down on cooling costs or at least make it more comfortable without air conditioning. In theory a light color should also last longer than a dark color based on its getting less hot and not degrading so quickly from the heat.

It depends if you live in a planned community or not. 
If you do have HOA, I would check with them first - some HOAs are very strict with enforcing the rules. 

If there is no HOA, I would make the color to conform with the neighbors' homes, as you do not want to stand out too much - and you certainly do NOT want to choose a color that would clash with your neighbors' homes.

Of course, if you live in the area that is not densely populated and no HOA, you can allow the artist in you to come out without any restrictions :-)
As long as you remember that you might need to find a buyer for your home one day :-) 

White or very light colored shingles are the most energy efficient because they reflect the sun's rays back up in to the air. Black or dark shingles will absorb the sun's rays and heat up the interior of the house. Medium tone and neutral colors are best for long term aesthetics.

I like darker roofs as long as they are not black. When I re-roofed about 3 years ago, I went with a 3D grey-charcoal similar to Colonial Slate. It has been great. It would work well with many colors including browns or tans since the highlight color is not too black.

I agonized a bit over the roof color because I had not chosen the exterior paint color yet, but the med/dark gray I chose worked with many different paint palattes I considered and made the house look "classy".