Profile picture for Reddingite

Which kitchen granite colors are best for resale in Boston?

I am considering updating my kitchen in a condo just outside Boston and I want to make sure that I don't pick anything that would be offensive to buyers or negatively affect resale.
  • September 21 2013 - Watertown
  • 0

Profile picture for alliancekitchenclts
[Spam deleted by Zillow moderator.]

Profile picture for shapiroamg
greys and blacks will work too as long as the pattern is not too crazy.

ask the people at the granite store what they might recommend. 

While you are thinking of resale, try to balance your needs for how long you expect to hold the property.

I agree with So Cal. Keep it on the cool side with beiges and creams.  The more expensive the granite the more exotic the patterns.  I was in love with a vibrant pattern that had large swirls of copper. Almost like a tiger.  I realized how that would actually detract from the over all appeal of the kitchen.  You want it to blend and compliment- not be the focal point.

I went to a private granite company instead of a Lowe's or Home Depot.  I got a better selection and better price.  I also got assistance picking a pattern that was popular for resale.

Dark tones of granite can be stunning photographs and for show, but are horrendous to work on.    They swallow all the light when working on the kitchen counter, and are hard to get so they don't show streaks from every angle.  

When we were selecting granite for our house, there was some really great looking stuff. Only problem was, the granite was so unique that it dictated the colors and style of the kitchen, vice "fitting in" to a design.

Given infinite $$$ and zero resale concerns, I'd have gone with some of the more unique granite (there was one that really looked like fossilized wood, complete with grain, etc.). But, given resale as a concern, we went with a granite (jupurana crema bordeaux) that had lots of earth tones that would support a wider variety of final design decisions. Even within that selection, there was a wide variation between slabs and we were able to choose slabs that incorporated strong elements of burgundy (bordeaux?).

I would imagine a lot will also depend on local tastes (i.e., is the locale leaning more towards dark woods, light woods, etc.). Pick something that will complement/support the most popular tastes in decorating style.

Good thinking.... From my experience, the MORE expensive granite is more appealing -.... nothing worse than the really CHEAP granite - looks awful .... Color wise you want something that will match colors universally...

In Malibu, I saw some wonderful blue granite which worked well as the home had ocean views from the kitchen - good stuff.

I would also check into Caesarstone quartz countertops - very popular out here now...