Profile picture for DFJ2

Which will value higher, a house with 4 BR and 1.5 baths or a house with 3 BR and 2.5 baths?

I want to turn my 4 BR 2 story home with 1.5 baths into a home with a master suite and master bath (will be after turning 1 BR into a master bath with additional closet) with 2 BR and 1.5 extra baths (making 3 BR and 2.5 baths total). Will my home increase in value or decrease in value if I do the renovation?
  • February 15 2009 - Dayton View Triangle
  • 0

The more baths the better.

Profile picture for Mr Caveat
it depends on the neighborhood for sure, but if you cannot add the bath to the exterior, the extra bath, in my personal opinion, would be worth losing a BR... especially if you got a football field for a walk-in to go with it...

in either case though i honestly do not think you will get the cost of the bathroom back at sale, so the real question you should be asking is, is it worth it to ME to add the BR.

gone are the days no matter what you spent, you got it back plus interest

Profile picture for turn
  • turn
It does depend on your neighborhood; also, the size of the remaining two BRs.
I am currently interested in a 5BR with 2 upstairs baths and a laundry rm.  If purchased, one BR will become smaller as a craft rm/office with a section for the W/D. Part of it will be used for a walk-in and mstr bath.  Won't be hard as the plumbing is already there. The location supports the investment.
In this day and age outside of the cities you don't hear of a 4 BR with only 1.5 bath.  If the non-master BRs are 12 x 13(for resale=folks can have 2 kids in the room, if needed) or better, I'd go for the closet and new bath.  Just keep it in tune with neighborhood comps.
Have fun!

Full Bathrooms are like GOLD In my neck of the woods, people have turned up thier noses at a 54 bed 1 and 1/2 bath houses in favor of 3 bed 2 full baths.....Who doesn't like their own private retreat/full bath? Call me pretentious, but a full bath increases the value of your home...and makes all family members happy...Increase in value....for sure!

I WOULD SAY IT DEPENDS ON THE AGE OF THE HOME, AND ACTUAL SQ FT IN THE ENTIRE STRUCTURE. IF IT IS  A NEWER CONSTRUCTION HOME, OR COULD BE COMPETETIVE WITH NEWER CONSTRUCTION, I WOULD CONVERT, AS NEW CONSTRUCTION TYPICALLY DOES CONTAIN A MASTER SUITE AND 2.5 BATHS ARE BECOMING TYPICAL. IF THE REMODEL IS DONE WITH AVERAGE TO BETTER (UPSCALE) MATERIALS, LOSING 1 BEDROOM TO ADD A SUITE WITH ADDITONAL FULL BATH WOULD ACTUALLY BRING MORE VALUE. HOMES WITH ONLY 1 FULL BATH ARE MUCH HARDER TO SELL, AND SELL FOR SUBSTANTIALLY LESS. THE MAJORITY OF BUYERS TYPICALLY LOOK FOR 3 BEDS AND AT LEAST 2 BATHS. A 4TH BEDROOM IS A BONUS, BUT NOT TYPICALLY A REQUIREMENT. 2 BATHS MANY TIMES IS A REQUIREMENT. HAVING 2 BATHS WILL NOT JUST INCREASE RESALE, BUT WIDEN THE POTENTIAL BUYERS TO MORE OF THE MAINSTREAM. CONFORMITY ALWAYS BRINGS THE GREATEST RETURNS, AND 3/2 IS TYPICAL FOR OUR MARKET.

I would agree with everything that Mart Ryan posted just below...with a
few caveats.  More bedrooms will always list for a higher asking price, so if you are concerned about the house value on paper, you'd be better off keeping the extra bedroom. That being said, though...

1.  How long are you planning to stay in the house?
2.  Do you have an extra room in the house that would double as an office/craft room through it can't officially be listed as a bedroom?
3.  A luxurious Master Suite with big closets and updated bath, although not necessarily able to recoup all your investments, especially in a short time, WILL make your house more marketable.  People are looking for this and they WANT it.
4.  If you plan on staying for a while (more than 5 years?), and the renovation fits YOUR lifestyle, then you should seriously consider it.  Hey, it's your house....sometimes you should just do what makes sense for you.  I've facilitated this particular change for all kinds of clients in various house price ranges and would say it's been a win for them in every case thus far.

I would really have to see the house its self but as a rule of thumb I would say to never get rid of a bedroom... the 4th bed will most likely be worth more than the extra bath.  This sounds like a costly remodel as well and would caution you against pricing yourself out of the market. 

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any other questions and/or visit my blog site at http://www.DiggingUpDayton.com for other real estate info.

Good luck,

Mark