Who do I contact that can help me know if i'm able to afford a house, condo, or townhome?

I want to know if Im able to buy a small 2 bedroom house, condo, or townhome based on my current income. San diego is an expensive place to live, but I want to do a thorough search for a  small home for under $70,000. This will be my firts time moving out on my own.
  • November 03 2012 - San Diego
  • 0

For under 70k in San Diego , your best bet would be a manufactured home.  There are homes inland out in Hemet, Ca still at that price but most are being bought up quickly.

When you contacting a lender to get qualified for a mortgage, make sure you mention the area where you want to be. In certain condo buidings it's hard to get a loan due high investor's ratio.

San Diego is an expensive place to live, and pretty much anywhere in that area you will not find a place under 60,000 unless it is a manufactured home...

There are places in San Bernardino and Riverside Counties where you could find a place in that price range though.  Feel free to contact me if interested.

Best wishes from So-Cal and good luck

Profile picture for ShaylaTwit
In order to truly know what you're able to afford on a purchase, contact a local mortgage broker or your bank.  It will at least give you a gauge to start from.  You dont have to end up with the first lender you speak with, as you can shop the rates & programs.  But at least you and your Realtor will know where to begin with a property search.

Hope that helps.  Good luck.  Shayla Twit, Sarasota FL Realtor

Here's a link to an affordability calculator.   After getting  a rough idea, you can talk with a lender. 

You can do a search for homes meeting your criteria by clicking on "homes" in the top line and then the area.  Use the filter to put in prices.  I find putting in a minimum price (e.g. $10,000) helps keep the rentals that accidentally say "for sale" from cluttering the search.   (I don't find anything in San Diego for $70,000, you may need to extend your search).