Who is considered a first time homebuyer?

I was told by a mortgage originator that because my ex wife (divorced this year) owned properties on our 2011 and 2010 joint tax returns that I am not considered a first time home buyer. Any feedback on this?

September 05 2013 - Washington

In order to qualify for the wide variety of first time homeowner programs we offer at Mountain West Financial here in CA we would look to see if you had any mortgage interest deductions on your taxes for the 3 years prior to purchase. Please feel free to contact me through my profile as I have a search tool to determine which programs one would qualify for based on their location, profession, etc.

March 14

Do I qualify for first time home buyer if I own an investment property for 3 years which is not my primary residence.

-G

March 14
I believe in the state of Washington, you need to have not owned a home for 3 years and since it is a community property state you technically owned one with her in 2010 and 2011 so next year you should be good to go!...I know a good real estate agent if you need one:)

If you are applying for benefits under a state HFA (Housing Finance Agency) then what the MLO shared with you is correct in a way.  The HFA in TN states the following is a prohibited ownership interest 

Interest arising because, within the last three years, the Applicant was married to a person who had one of the prohibited ownership interests in a residence which Applicant occupied as their principal residence.

A first time home buyer is considered (in most cases) as a person who has not owned their primary residence for at least three years.    If you had joint returns showing owning a primary residence,  then you may need to go a step beyond to show that they were not your primary residence and they were fully in your wife's name.   (I don't recollect if DC is a community property state).

Which first time home buyer benefits were you interested in?  Pull up the website describing the qualifications for the benefits.