Who is responsible for paying appraisal fee if listing agent terminates contract before closing?

November 04 2012 - Palm Bay

you are required to pay for services provided to you... this includes the fee associated to complete an appraisal of a property you intended to purchase whether you close the transaction or not

It was a bank owned home.  Listing agent gave my realtor a hard time from the onset of submitting my offer.  I won the bid.  Listing agent changed date requirement for me to get inspection to an earlier date and indicated that he will go with the cash buyer if we don't meet the time requirement.  That was no problem, I had paid for inspection and other fees such as the land survey and septic inspection.  All companies including the mortgage company indicated that the listing agent gave them a hard time.  I did not understand why.  Finally, the appraisal was ordered by the mortgage company, and the house appraised for less than the offer amount.  Again, my new offer for the appraised amount was accepted by bank who owned the home but the listing agent terminated the contract citing that my realtor did not submit the new contract in a timely manner.  Several months later, I was contacted and told that I owed the fee for the appraisal. 

It's your appraisal that your lender ordered for you. You will pay for it. You did not tell us why the listing agent terminated it, not that it really makes a difference, but I am curious.

Tim